Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot care

Boot care

Wondering what everyone uses for boot care on leather boots? I have new pair of hanwags that came with “hanwag” wax but was wondering if there is better options out there or what others use

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Boot care

I’ve tried a lot of different boot care products. By the the best is Obenaufs. Compared to Nixwax I find it lasts longer and keeps the leather in better condition.

X2 Obenaufs
    Cabelas sells it now.

SnoSeal and a hairdryer or heatgun.

Also have Hanwag boots and have used up a can of the Hanwag wax. I read the label on the Hanwag wax product and it is largely bees wax. So is SnoSeal. A big can of SnoSeal is way less pricey than a small can of Hanwag product.
    I have been using the method described by Geologist for a few years now. Works just fine.
    Semper in excretum altum

Another vote for snoseal and the heat gun. It’s the best way to get the wax and oils to penetrate. Otherwise the treatment doesn’t last anywhere near as long. I’ve been using Snoseal since I can remember. It is a very good product and you can find it just about everywhere.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

And here I thought that I came up with the idea of using a heat gun to soak in the SnoSeal. Ha! Great minds think alike. And small minds seldom differ. I’ve been doing that for years to my boots and leather work gloves, etc. My hands sure are soft for a while after too.

Now, how many of you fellow geniuses (or is it genieii??) wax their snow shovels so snow doesn’t stick in them?
    Pretend hunter.

Over the years I've tried about everything. I just use plain old bees wax - not paraffin wax. Heated up and rubbed in, works great.

Tried most but Obenaufs is seriously good. That said on my lowa boots I use the lowa products which work great too.

I find more importantly than the quality of the grease is the amount you use it. I probably grease my boots 8-14 times a year. I grease them before a hunt, after a hunt, anytime after walking in wet conditions and before storing them. One trick that really adds life to boots is to apply seam grip seem sealer to all the seams and around the rand. Do this when they are new and about once a year after that. This rubberized coating protects the thread in the seams and keeps that weak link from abrading and failing.