Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting knife carry style: vertical vs horizontal carry?

Hunting knife carry style: vertical vs horizontal carry?

Ordering a new hunting knife. Not sure if I should get a traditional vertical carry style knife/sheath or go for horizontal carry? Listed some pros/cons that I can think of. What do you guys use? Any additional pros/cons?

Vertical carry pros: longer knives, seem more secure/less chance of falling from the sheath, may get in the way less when using a pack hip belt. Cons: awkward when sitting/glassing and getting in and out of vehicles.

Horizontal carry pros: able to sit on ground or in vehicle without knife/sheath being in the way, don't need to take off belt when sitting, natural hand position when grabbing knife. Cons: easier to slide out of sheath and lose it, some sheaths lock/clasp the handle so may be more difficult to access.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting knife carry style: vertical vs horizontal carry?

Get a military utility belt from Poco Military Surplus & hang the vertical sheath off it besides ur bearspray & gut/skin holsters. It will save u pain in ur hips if u carry it cross-shoulder to underarm.

Quote Originally Posted by orest.06 View Post
    Get a military utility belt from Poco Military Surplus & hang the vertical sheath off it besides ur bearspray & gut/skin holsters. It will save u pain in ur hips if u carry it cross-shoulder to underarm.
    That's not a bad idea!

If you get a proper buckle that is on a swivel you don't have to worry about a knife hanging or preventing you from sitting and such.
    It doesn't really matter, whatever makes you comfortable.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

While hunting I like horizontal carry due to all the sitting/glassing. I like Kydex for hunt season and leather for all other activities. I make custom leather sheaths if your interested. If u need one hit me up on Instagram. OneTreeLeather

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron600 View Post
    While hunting I like horizontal carry due to all the sitting/glassing. I like Kydex for hunt season and leather for all other activities. I make custom leather sheaths if your interested. If u need one hit me up on Instagram. OneTreeLeather

Just started following. Exquisite work man. You really are an artist.

Do you have list of prices? Or is everything custom?

seen this post and realized in 45 years hunting i have never lost a knife..nor have i ever carried a knife on my hip/belt..always in my day pack.
    i have good leather knife sheaths to hold some GREAT knifes..but they are always safetly tucked away.
    steven

if your wear a bino harness you can carry it on your chest beside your binos. this is what i do. rangefinder on one side, knife on the other..probably be awkward if its a longer knife though.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Just started following. Exquisite work man. You really are an artist.

Do you have list of prices? Or is everything custom?
    Thanks! Just send me a DM on IG and we can go over pricing if you need some leather pants for a knife.

Always carry it in my pack. The hip belt on my pack doesn't feel very good with a knife under it.