Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot care

Re: Boot care

Another vote for sno seal. It works great and lasts a long time. I do mine in the hot Kamloops sun and let it warm up the leather and melt the sno seal

i prefer as little as possible to maintain the most breathability out of them that i can.
    i also find that the boots made today with the nubuck leather are too porous for the stuff generally made for top grain leather to work right. You'd have to slather on a pound of that stuff for it to "stop absorbing".

With the nubuck, which most boots are nowdays, you are really mostly relying on the gore-tex liner to keep you dry rather than the leather.

The other very important part of leather boot care is cleaning them. The life of a pair of boots will be greatly extended by giving them a once over before applying the snoseal. I use saddle soap. I get this from the tack shop in town. This on its own goes a long way to making the boots waterproof.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Neatsfoot oil....

Just don't use anything that will desolve the glue holding the boot together. ie acetone based silicon products.
    Vote for snow seal here too! Wood stove heat and re-apply.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Obernaufs. Smells great too.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

i did the snow seal/hair dryer years ago on brand new boots, worked great keeping the water out, but my feet sweated something awful. too much snow seal i guess making them non breathable.

I have been using the same tin of arctic dubbin from Capo for 3? years now. It uses mink oil. It's been great. My Irish Setters are on their last legs and the arctic dubbin really waterproofs them, for snow walking anyways. I give the boots a good scrub with a brush then slather it on with surgical gloves. I just put them on my boot dryer for 1.5 hour then rub the excess off. Works well.

I use huberds boot grease has done a really great job for me.

I clean boots with water and a scrub brush, then Obenaufs with a hair dryer for heat.