Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolves getting closer to town

Wolves getting closer to town

Watched a pack of 8 to 9 follow a herd of cattle fairly close to Lake Country this morning. On private property so I wasn't able to take a poke at them. Definitely neat to watch them interact with another while following the herd. Definitely wish I could have taken a shot at them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves getting closer to town

The large parcel of land near Beaver Lake FSR?

I've been living in the Lake Country area for 3 years now, and have seen wolves 3-4 times. They're around, that's for sure, as well as significantly more cats than I ever thought.

Great experience to watch, but hopefully next time, you can see them on Crown land.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

You should mention this to the land owner in case they aren't aware yet. And ask if they'd mind if you shoot one if you see them again. They might gladly allow it, for wolves anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    Watched a pack of 8 to 9 follow a herd of cattle fairly close to Lake Country this morning. On private property so I wasn't able to take a poke at them. Definitely neat to watch them interact with another while following the herd. Definitely wish I could have taken a shot at them.
    I've read a wolf requires appx 7 lbs of meat a day to stay healthy and breed. Those 9 wolves require 22,947.75 lbs/yr. How many deer is that???

I would definitely be knocking on his door and let him know about the wolves, maybe get permission to hunt them .
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

While its sometimes nice to be able to view the wolves, the huge impact on the local game is very very severe. I recently posted about a large pack taking a four point buck in my area. The pack continues to cleanout the local game populations bigtime. It's not just the sick or unhealthy , it's also the strongest and healthy as well. A real difference in that area sadly.
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I've read a wolf requires appx 7 lbs of meat a day to stay healthy and breed. Those 9 wolves require 22,947.75 lbs/yr. How many deer is that???
    In some areas that's more than the entire herd- toast.
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"

They take a toll of the local animals in the range they run. Not uncommon to hear stories of 30 sheep killed and few, if any, had parts eaten. Between trappers and the new poison that only kills canine, the numbers are kept in check. Hard to be prepared when they show.
    Had 6 around, trapper took out 5. Then another 6 and someone took out 4. Still hear howling once every few months so they are still around.
    They can gorge themselves and eat 50 to 55 lbs of meat in a sitting.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I am gonna head back that way in the next couple days and go knock on his door and let him know what I saw. I know that pack has definitely decimated the deer and moose population in the area, going from seeing 20+ deer a day to very few.

I am gonna head back that way in the next couple days and go knock on his door and let him know what I saw. I know that pack has definitely decimated the deer and moose population in the area, going from seeing 20+ deer a day to very few.
    If you want some back up let me know.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc