Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baitcaster Reel for Rivers, Shimano or Daiwa

Re: Baitcaster Reel for Rivers, Shimano or Daiwa

I would be looking into the internal gearing in each of the reels you're interested in. I have run abu garcias for many years for steelhead. They work great for that size of fish. But I have seen the same reels fail when used for big springs. The gearing in the abus is all plastic. You definitely can't argue with shimanos . They make a very good product. As for diawa, all I will say is I wouldn't waste my money. Good luck with your search

7000 abu for big salmon, 6500 for smaller fish

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    7000 abu for big salmon, 6500 for smaller fish
    Absolutely. I have seen 6500's stripped on bigger fish

I've probably got a dozen Abu reels, the 7000 Synchro are my favourite for big big chinook, with the 6500 for coho and steelhead.

They have been excellent reels and seems like everyone has parts for them when they need cleaning and service...personally I wouldn't look at anything else... JMHO though

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I would be looking into the internal gearing in each of the reels you're interested in. I have run abu garcias for many years for steelhead. They work great for that size of fish. But I have seen the same reels fail when used for big springs. The gearing in the abus is all plastic. You definitely can't argue with shimanos . They make a very good product. As for diawa, all I will say is I wouldn't waste my money. Good luck with your search
    I agree, and that has been the issue with this new TW version of the Daiwa Lexa.
    I cant find anything on it in terms of videos et where someone has done a review on this new version reel and whether it
    still contains the same gears as the old Lexa version (which you can still buy).
    Of course I can find many Daiwa produced videos for this new Lexa, but they don't get into the internals, just fancy names.
    Look up Reel Advisor on youtube and you will truly see a great video on what makes up some of your favorite reels.
    Now that's a review.

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    I dunno, I would categorize my old swedish abu as a clunker, albeit reliable but still a clunker, not nearly as refined and smooth as other newer offerings (I was still rightly pissed when it was stolen lol )....my modern production abu 7000 had worm gear/pawl failure that mike's reel repair upgraded to their ceramic pawl, which has since been reliable....drag also became sticky pretty quickly and I replaced with carbon washers....still good reels, but they are what they are, work horses, not the same class as calcuatta's or lexa's imo

grew up a diehard shimano fan, but past few years I've grown to like my newer diawa stuff...tatula and BG spinning reels, and couple lexa's

my lexa really hasn't been put to the test yet, had some fun on the kitimat but not a ton of abuse yet....guys back home in ONare using the 400 HD and burning double 10's with good reports....I personally think river fishing is pretty easy on reels, they only get tested when you hookup....but chucking and retrieving musky lures all day will really work them, and both the tranx and lexa are getting good reports there, so I don't think you would go wrong with either

back to the original question, I noticed the daiwa drive gears tend to be oversized for the model, on my reels when I lube them up, perhaps to make up for cast vs forged? if you aren't familiar with Alan Hawk's reviews yet, I would check to see if he has done a review, very thorough and usually does new reels pretty quickly
    Thanks BR,
    Yes, the Daiwa has a larger main gear(slightly larger than shimanos) on the 300 series reels.
    So yes, it might explain cast vs forged.
    And yes, I cant find much thats says the cast gear on Daiwa has caused any troubles.
    I know most will say Shimanos are smoother "out of the box" that is, but over time, they seem to lose a bit of this silkyness over
    time.
    Whereas many report Daiwa tends to stay more consistent.

But the big issue seems to be (in the past anyways) that Shimano did go the extra little bit to use better made components.
    But that gap is closing with Daiwa so that is why I was asking.

One thing i recently saw was, and it was disturbing, imo.
    This fellow from Reel Advisor purchased a "limited edition" reel (low profile bait caster) from Daiwa,
    He already had the standard version but thought "what the hell, lets see how much better the limited edition" is.
    He paid i think a couple hundred dollars more for the LE reel vs standard reel.
    Only difference was, the LE came with a new outer case paint job, and an extra spring on the internal end of the main spool!!
    Probably worth about 5 $'s more, not hundreds more!!!!

That is one of the big knocks on Daiwa is that they use fancy labelling for something that they have used on reels for years.
    I suppose that marketing ploy is used by most companies now.

Just wanted to know if Daiwa took the new TW to the next level fully.
    Or if they just improved the braking and added the T-Wing (which seems like a good innovation).
    I suspect it is still a main cast gear.
    And i know Shimano is the standard for many other companies to meet (unless you go to real high end reels like
    Islander/Abel etc)
    I think there are a couple more main bearings in the new Daiwa.

Another thought is to back up your research with a look around locally for anyone who services reels and get some feedback there. Also any guides you might be able to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Another thought is to back up your research with a look around locally for anyone who services reels and get some feedback there. Also any guides you might be able to contact.
    I aasked the guys at Pacific Anglers if the Daiwa Rep when he shows up gives any detailed info on new products.
    I was told "nope".
    Which is interesting because my other friend that works at Reliable Guns said the Vortex Rep came in and talked alot about
    their products and to give info on many of the common questions that buyers quite often ask.
    I also look at finding the Schematics for this new reel, but cant find anything.
    If i did, i could look to see if the main gear part # is still exactly the same as previous models.
    If it were different, it might tell me they changed it.
    I have tried.
    So now its hoping someone knows or at least get some reviews from others on these reels.

I got my son Daiwa Luna 253 right hand many years go. No problems. For myself I like my 1970's classic Garica Abu 4500C,5000C, 5500C and 6000C baitcasting reels. But being little bit older now and brought couple of new Lew's Baitcasting reels ( got it in U.S)they are light and being very reliable so far. Now days I hardly used my Hardy Silex center pin reels. I even got John Milner Talisman as Christmas present years collecting dust.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

I started Steelheading with an old grey Selex of my dad's, then moved onto a Avon Royal Supreme when I could afford one. (it was $22.00, I still have the box with price tag). Then I got a use Hardy Silex on a good deal. Loved my centre pins and still have em and use them. That said I have owned and used many bait casters, my first was an old Shimano Bantam, I loved that reel until some ahole dropped it and dinged the body enough to make it so it wouldn't free wheel very good, every time I look in the mirror I see the guy that did it, *******. I'v own numerous Ambassadors 6500's and as far as I'm concerned they're almost bulletproof, at least the old ones were except when you got the worm gear all gummed up with borax from from fishing with guts. I now have a Shimano Calcutta 400, that's the best level wind I'v owned. I don't think I would buy anything else.