Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baitcaster Reel for Rivers, Shimano or Daiwa

Re: Baitcaster Reel for Rivers, Shimano or Daiwa

hmm have had decades with AMBASSADORS..ABU GARCIA...been selling lots of river gear and with it 7 reels..different sizes..ages

DEPENDS WHAT YOUR FISHING FOR..IN RIVERS ?
    IM A REP for ACCURATE reels..simply THE BEST OUT THERE.PERIOD.ONCE you get to a certain size of fish level winds create more problems and should not be used..
    regardless of level wind gears pawls..
    i have landed 60 pound chinook on ACCURATE reels 18 mile bar out of TERRACE in fast river..one piece frame cnc made..twin titanium drags..etc.
    yes$$$$ but for big stuff use good stuff..small stuff use anything.sold 5 ACCURATE IN PAST MONTH.keeping last special editions 2x.

get a bit better bit bigger for those bigger fish.
    good fishing tight lines
    srupp

^^^^For the Vedder/Chilliwack area etc, it would mainly be Coho, and possibly Steelhead (hatchery of course) and maybe
    the some Chinook as they run at the same time as some of the Coho.
    So really, don't need a skookum reel.

Was just curious about the 2 brands in the same price range and line size category and peoples knowledge or experience.
    If Daiwa had not come out with this new Lexa, I wouldn't even think twice and just have gotten the Shimano Tranx.
    But, the new real Daiwa does make some improvements (at least on paper!) to make it worthwhile to consider now.
    But, as I have stated, you never know until you open these reels up at times

Also, i am far from rich, so top end isn't in the books for me.
    Just a 1 time, no regret purchase is what i am hoping for!??

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^For the Vedder/Chilliwack area etc, it would mainly be Coho, and possibly Steelhead (hatchery of course) and maybe
    the some Chinook as they run at the same time as some of the Coho.
    So really, don't need a skookum reel.

Was just curious about the 2 brands in the same price range and line size category and peoples knowledge or experience.
    If Daiwa had not come out with this new Lexa, I wouldn't even think twice and just have gotten the Shimano Tranx.
    But, the new real Daiwa does make some improvements (at least on paper!) to make it worthwhile to consider now.
    But, as I have stated, you never know until you open these reels up at times

Also, i am far from rich, so top end isn't in the books for me.
    Just a 1 time, no regret purchase is what i am hoping for!??
    If you are set on a low profile level wind then this won't work for you but if you will consider a normal level wind, you can save yourself a lot of money and get a reel that will last your life and most likely the life of your heirs by looking at the used market for an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur in either 6000C or 6500C. I lived in Terrace for almost 20 years and spent many days fishing for Steelhead, Coho and Springs in all the rivers around there. My 6000C is all original except for the high speed gear kit I installed after not being able to keep up with a Copper River Steelhead running toward me. It has landed hundreds of fish to the mid 20 lb range and a number at the 30+ lb, just keep your drag adjusted in an appropriate range and you will not need another reel. If you find you are fishing in areas of 30lbs plus (Kalum River/Nass River Springs) then look into a 7000C and 30lb test line and you will not look back, I have a team of reels and for the big ones in the Skeena I added a 9000C but it has not seen a huge amount of use except in the salt.

Check out Craigslist and other sources online for used and you may be surprised and you may even find a low profile unit that meets your desires.

Cheers and Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Thanks B^^^^^^^

actually, the good reel reviews is called Tackle Advisor on youtube (not reel advisor), fyi