Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the Rut

Re: the Rut

Watch for roadkill bucks. That’s the easiest indicator

a buddy of mine owns a body shop. The rut can pretty much be documented every year by the icbc claims

and ya, claims (collisions with deer) ramped up on Sunday

Thought most of the deer had dropped into their wintering grounds by now, and think most have, but last evening pulled into drive at dusk and saw a few does crossing followed by a good sized 3 point. Even if season was open still would of had to let him walk. But it was fun to see him chasing his girls.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Well, a lot of the wintering grounds and even the area were the deer migrate thru don't have snow.
    Not like years ago.
    So, I am sure there are deer that wont go to the winter grounds
    And as many know, some deer need to be chest deep in snow it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Well, a lot of the wintering grounds and even the area were the deer migrate thru don't have snow.
    Not like years ago.
    So, I am sure there are deer that wont go to the winter grounds
    And as many know, some deer need to be chest deep in snow it seems?
    the mule deer from east of Williams lake from Cariboo mts head towards the Fraser river..does usually head that way with 10 to 18 inches of snow..
    however as correctly pointed out i have seen big bodied bucks heading down and west when the snow hits where the neck hits the body..bottom of the neck..
    of course there are resident deer along the Fraser all year long.no deer moving today..so far.
    headed out with Susan and Ebony Sunday...
    steven

It’s on here in the north okanagan. Seen a lot of bucks coming out if the wood work. I suspect a lot of deer to be taken this week

Lots of 604 LM hunters pissed off right now i bet.
    I know my one hunting partner had several weeks off starting this coming week and he is F'd now to get out there due to the
    highways that have literally gone missing.

You 250 folks should have some enjoyment now due to lower traffic from LM hunters, that's for sure.
    But, bet your asses we will be back in force next season

Arrow Re: the Rut

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    ... headed out with Susan and Ebony Sunday...
    Best of Luck my Friend!!

Been pretty poor over here.
    The reports of the dreaded AHD now appear to be quite real, and likely escalating.
    A lot of my local Buddies are seeing what I am - less than 50% of the numbers from the past few years.
    Combine that with now near a dozen found dead, and a couple verified, it very much does appear this crap has taken hold here.

After the last outing, wherein I only saw a single doe (and used to see dozens each and every visit to that area) I made the conscious decision to stop hunting them this season.
    I cannot in all clear consciousness kill any of them while this is going one.
    They are going to need all hands on deck to recover I believe.

So, all my eggs are now in the late archery season basket.
    Hoping like hell they get the roads between me and that in some semblance of shape before it's too late!
    If they don't it will be the first season in 51 years I have not taken at least one big game animal.
    Really do not want to break that run...

Again, Best of Luck Steve!
    Hope you find a Big Boy!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

^^^^^Just curious No, what are you exactly referring to with this statement:
    "Combine that with now near a dozen found dead, and a couple verified, it very much does appear this crap has taken hold here"

Unhappy Re: the Rut

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^Just curious No, what are you exactly referring to with this statement:
    "Combine that with now near a dozen found dead, and a couple verified, it very much does appear this crap has taken hold here"
    Among our limited crew alone, a dozen carcasses have been found locally.
    Many (most I believe) were reported, and results have been given on a few of those that were examined already.
    AHD Positive.
    Thus it is obvious that this disease is now in our local Blacktail herds, and extremely likely elsewhere.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thats not good Nog

FYI, Deer AHD:
    What are the signs of AHD in deer? AHD has both acute and chronic forms. Acute signs include difficulty breathing, foaming or drooling from the mouth, diarrhea (sometimes bloody), and seizures. The disease course is usually rapid and fatal as the virus damages small blood vessels in the lungs and intestines.

A disease outbreak occurring in deer in B.C.Adenovirus Hemorrhagic Disease (AHD) is an acute, infectious, usually fatal viral disease of deer species.Since September 2020, coastal blacktailed deer on several British Columbia (BC) Gulf Islands (confirmedon Galiano, Mayne, Pender, Salt Spring) and southern Vancouver Island (from Coombs to Sooke) havedied from this disease. The information below is important for the public and hunters to learn moreabout this new disease and its implication on deer populations, hunters and public health.What is AHD?AHD is caused by a virus in the Adenoviridae family. There are a variety of adenoviruses that can infectanimals – both wild and domestic species. AHD of deer is caused by Odocoileus adenovirus (OdAdV) andwas first discovered in black-tailed deer in California in 1993. Cervids (mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk,moose and perhaps caribou) are all susceptible to the disease, however, members of the blacktaileddeer family (including mule deer) appear to be most severely affected. AHD is similar to other viralhemorrhagic diseases in cervids including Bluetongue and Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease.What are the signs of AHD in deer?AHD has both acute and chronic forms. Acute signs include difficulty breathing, foaming or droolingfrom the mouth, diarrhea (sometimes bloody), and seizures. The disease course is usually rapid and fatalas the virus damages small blood vessels in the lungs and intestines. Chronic signs include ulcers andabscesses in the mouth/throat, likely the cause of drooling, that can lead to weight loss and death.Fawns/juveniles are more susceptible to AHD and experience much higher death rates than adults.Affected animals are often found dead and in good body condition with no signs of trauma or othercause of death.How is it spread?Adenovirus can be spread through direct contact between deer and contact with fluids (saliva, feces,urine), particularly when animals are at high density such as if artificially fed. Transmission throughairborne routes, contaminated feed and water, and contaminated equipment may also occur.Adenoviruses rarely are transmitted by insects but this has not yet been confirmed for AHD.Can it be transmitted to humans, livestock or pets?There is no evidence that this deer adenovirus can be transmitted to humans and research supports thatit is not transmitted to livestock or pets. Although there is no known human health risk from the virus,hunters are advised not to consume meat from animals found dead, obviously ill or acting abnormallyprior to death.How can it affect cervids in British Columbia?Since its initial discovery, cases have occurred in several US states in most years with outbreaks in somelocations. With improved diagnostic tools, wildlife health experts recognize the disease more often,however BC had not previously documented the disease. A serological survey of archived elk serum didconfirm exposure in SW BC a decade ago. In 2021, outbreaks are underway in California, Oregon, andWashington. AHD can lead to localized and short term deer population reductions where it occurs;however, this disease is still poorly understood and further research is needed.