Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The BC blues...

Re: The BC blues...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F.
    I have very few 1st of species left, Cinnamon teal, cackler, lessers and brant being the only somewhat common ones in this part of the world. I can say this, as the list gets shorter each one becomes a bigger deal!
    Should've said that eariler in the year as they already migrated through. Still got lots of lessers flying around, mostly with larger flocks of westerns. Buts its sure fun to shoot those little guys. As for the cacklers is this little enough for ya lol?? And pictures dont even give that good of a scale. A normal western we get are anywhere from 10-13 pounds, the lessers which is the bigger one around 5-7 pounds and the little cackler around 2-3 pounds. Have about a 2-3 foot wingspan though so in the air they still look kindof big except for the really short neck.

Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 11-13-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Great photos Ian! Didn't know there were Harlequins so close to us.
    I figured your list was getting small, something tells me the Brant will co-operate this year too. Did I tell you I saw a Rudy duck a couple times out on the Pitt River (over 20 years ago). Tried to get it but it was always out of reach and I never fired a shot. Think I would opt for a pictures now though...
    Good to hear you guys had a favorable responce from the kayaker. We had a visitor out at the marsh a few weeks back, a biologist who my partner recognized from meetings out in Delta. This guy was in a group that lobbied to get Burns Bog area shut down (it is closed now). I wonder what he was doing out our way...
    We had a good mallard shoot saturday, saw Rick and he had a good morning too (he was going for an all drake shoot and was well into it when we talked).
    Keep the photos coming, I'll try and get the camera out more often as I know my posts have been lacking them this year.
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    We had a visitor out at the marsh a few weeks back, a biologist who my partner recognized from meetings out in Delta. This guy was in a group that lobbied to get Burns Bog area shut down (it is closed now). I wonder what he was doing out our way...
    This is more than a little concerning.........
    ANY SOCIETY THAT WOULD GIVE UP A LITTLE LIBERTY TO GAIN A LITTLE SECURITY WILL DESERVE NEITHER AND LOSE BOTH.

- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks all for the kind words, certainly increases the enjoyment of the hunt when you can share it with friends.

To answer some questions..

Yes all of these birds will be mounted, some for me and some for friends to use as carving reference. Seems to me to be a great second life for such beautiful birds!

Crazy Farmer, a big part of the kick I get out of waterfowling is going on what I call quests. Part of the quest is doing it on my terms, almost always fumbling my own way. I could have easily booked a guide to go shoot a harely years ago, but that's not fun for me. I'd rather put in the time, carve the decoys and try my best on my own. What happens, at least for me is the journey is the most important part of the quest and success only closes the process. Maybe next year I'll start chasing the geese with a bit more earnest, but only time will tell!

Dano, lots of harleys on the island, and plenty on our coast as well, only issue is that you need to get away from the lower mainland as they don't like people and do like more isolated rocky areas. Always a chance on the Pitt as they breed and spend the summers on mountain rivers, so my guess is Pitt lake sees some every year. I've seen a few ruddys in BC, but I think I would wait until almost the last day to try and take one for a mount, that'd be the best chance for spring plummage versus the drab winter one they are in now. This year's brant season is awesome, two full weekends! I'll be out for 6 days minimum, can't wait!

Very best,

Ian

Great post Ian, I always enjoy your stories and wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

WOW that would be a dream come true hunt for me harleys and burrows in the same hunt ,hope some day i can go out west on a quest myself
    Slayer