Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far do BBS fly?

Re: How far do BBS fly?

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Have some time this morning so I found this tidbit on Google

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/archives...long_range.pdf

It was written in 1959 and according to that missive it claims that 7 1/2 is dangerous at 125 yards (114m). No. 6 is dangerous at 250y (228m); #3-4 is dangerous at 300y (274m) and BB is dangerous at 450y (420m).
    Good find ....... But as a long time water fowler, I'm having a tough time believing any of these numbers ...... I'll cave to a possibility of the 125 yards, but the words dangerous at 300 - 450m .......dangerous being ..... getting a bruise on a exposed finger tip while picking up deeks???
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Somehow we have to choose the middle path between being overcautious and too lax. I've been peppered before by other hunters and it remains an annoyance unless I happened to be looking up without eye protection. But I was out with an outfitter recently who said he had his clothing and skin broken by a wayward shot at Pitt. And again we are talking about places where non hunters will be walking. Getting 'rained on' when you're a dog walker or horse rider is going to be a lot more than annoying to them.

I also wonder if there is a difference between steel and lead seeing as that document was from 1959. Oldtimers complain about the lack of killing power of steel. It is less dense, weigh less and so those distances should be adjusted. With heavier shot certainly they would travel further so I would be cautious when slamming goose loads toward the shore.
    Last edited by silveragent; 11-17-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Dangerous or not dangerous start dropping shot on mom dad and the kids walking on dike your getting charged and hunting shut down. Will BB reach 500m I don’t know but better to er on caution. Fire a shot or two over the water and see how far it goes.

Shot across a smallish pond while out grouse hunting with a 410 3" #4 shot cleared the 250m pond.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Pm for my hunting partner name.set up whatever distance your curious about and he will eventually shoot at you and will have your answer lmao.
    As long as you believe it was accidental, no worries

I sometimes used Kent's 3" BB on extremely winding days on ducks sure makes difference compare to #2. It does flies little further than #1 or #2 but with less steel. Used some Kent's 3 1/2" BBB on some big Canada geese this season sure knock em dead at far distance.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."