Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far do BBS fly?

How far do BBS fly?

I go way out into Boundary Bay and though I prefer to shoot towards the water, sometimes the birds fly between me and the dike. I have a hide about 500 metres out. If I shoot BBs towards the dike will they reach it? I don't want to shower a cyclist or dog walker with spent steel pellets.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How far do BBS fly?

Depends how far away the Dickie bird is

Pm for my hunting partner name.set up whatever distance your curious about and he will eventually shoot at you and will have your answer lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I go way out into Boundary Bay and though I prefer to shoot towards the water, sometimes the birds fly between me and the dike. I have a hide about 500 metres out. If I shoot BBs towards the dike will they reach it? I don't want to shower a cyclist or dog walker with spent steel pellets.
    Are you allowed to shot towards the dike, I think it's dyke, not dike, because I would say there are dikes in Van that don't want to be shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Pm for my hunting partner name.set up whatever distance your curious about and he will eventually shoot at you and will have your answer lmao.
    He learned from some of the best
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Are you allowed to shot towards the dike, I think it's dyke, not dike, because I would say there are dikes in Van that don't want to be shot at.
    Dike vs. dyke

In American and Canadian English, dike is the preferred spelling of the noun referring to (1) an embankment used to prevent floods, and (2) a low wall dividing lands. Dyke is the preferred spelling in all other main varieties of English.

Dyke is also a derogatory slang word referring to a lesbian. While this sense of dyke has been reappropriated and made positive by some, it is still generally considered offensive and should be shunned outside very specific contexts.
    Examples

American and Canadian publications use dike for a flood-preventing embankment—for example:

[FONT=Georgia]

fly? 200 meters if you are running a heavy enough load. Dangerous? less than a 100 meters (I've taken hits from careless hunters in Selkirk before at 200 meters, only scares you didn't hurt)

On the Fraser Valley Special Area Map there is a dyke section marked with XXXXs where it specifically says between 64th and 80th there is a 180 metre "No Shooting Toward Shore" zone "in addition to the 150 metre complete discharge of firearms closure zone". I think the reason for that special section is more because of the Howelings Nursery and the airport.

So given the way our regs are, that means when you are beyond that distance, you can shoot toward the shore. All other areas don't have the XXXX dyke area so my assumption is that you can outside 150 metres with good judgment. Which makes MichelD's question relevant as it becomes more a question of what is good sense when you can shoot toward the shore. Almost always in that section I am well beyond 200 metres.

re: Dyke.. I knew a woman in university who's last name was "Dykeman" and by coincidence, she was a lesbian.
    Last edited by silveragent; 11-17-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Have some time this morning so I found this tidbit on Google

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/archives...long_range.pdf

It was written in 1959 and according to that missive it claims that 7 1/2 is dangerous at 125 yards (114m). No. 6 is dangerous at 250y (228m); #3-4 is dangerous at 300y (274m) and BB is dangerous at 450y (420m).

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Have some time this morning so I found this tidbit on Google

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/archives...long_range.pdf

It was written in 1959 and according to that missive it claims that 7 1/2 is dangerous at 125 yards (114m). No. 6 is dangerous at 250y (228m); #3-4 is dangerous at 300y (274m) and BB is dangerous at 450y (420m).
    Thank you.