Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bag limit question

Re: Bag limit question

Yah I did, I fixed it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Actually you have that flipped around. Bag limit is 15 and possession is 5. This means that you cancel 15 tags all total and be in possession of 5 at a time. It doesn’t say what possession actually means. But I would figure it is the amount of deer you have with you at one time.
    I was waiting to see when someone would point out the 5/15 was reversed.

I know quite a few people who live on the Queen Charlottes, and quite a few who have hunted and guided there. The standard procedure is shoot 5, and then drop off at the local butchers, who will process, wrap, freeze and then ship to your home address. While he is doing that, those 5 are not in your possession, and therefore you can shoot 5 more. Repeat as necessary.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

My take: If you shoot 5 and eat one, you now have 4. You can shoot one more so you are again in possession of five. It has nothing to do with your place of residence. If you shot five and took them to the butcher and shot five more you would be exceeding your possession limit. The butcher does not own your deer, they are still yours and count as part of your possession limit. The gifting of the deer is a little tricky. I don’t think the CO is right but I wouldn’t want to test it.

Just an opinion, but I think you’re allowed 5 with you. Eat one and shoot one more and you’ll be back at 5. Seems simple, Maybe there was a misunderstanding with the co.

I’ve never hunted there, but a guy I know used to go there with a group and one guy would take turns running the deer home. So if there was 3 of them with 3 trucks then one guy would go home with 15 deer and come back. I really don’t know if that’s legal, but they seemed to think so.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Just an opinion, but I think you’re allowed 5 with you. Eat one and shoot one more and you’ll be back at 5. Seems simple, Maybe there was a misunderstanding with the co.

I’ve never hunted there, but a guy I know used to go there with a group and one guy would take turns running the deer home. So if there was 3 of them with 3 trucks then one guy would go home with 15 deer and come back. I really don’t know if that’s legal, but they seemed to think so.
    Yes it's legal to transport other hunters game if you have the proper documentation with you.

The better question is, since they are culling the deer on other islands there anyway, why is the possession limit still at 5??

Quote Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
    The better question is, since they are culling the deer on other islands there anyway, why is the possession limit still at 5??
    Probably to slow down the off island hunters while at the same time leaving the special limits for residents of Haida Gwaii. Personally I think 15 is a little overkill.

You must cancel your tag immediately upon killing a deer, So wheter you eat it or gift it you are down in the further number you are allowed to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    You must cancel your tag immediately upon killing a deer, So wheter you eat it or gift it you are down in the further number you are allowed to take.
    You can buy 15 tags and must have them all in your possession, you can only have 5 island deer in possession at at time. I would think that if he ate one completely that it would be legal to cancel another tag.