Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag limit question

Bag limit question

Hey everyone,

I had a trip to Haida gwaii this year and we had a chance to talk to some really nice CO's.

There were a few things that left me and my group a little confused.

1. In Haida gwaii the bag limit is 5 possession is 15. If, while on a 10 day hunt we fully eat 1 small Sitka deer. Does that mean if I shot 5 deer my bag limit goes back down to 4 ?

2. If I shot 5 deer and gifted a full deer to the people who let us stay at their places does that also mean my possession is now 4?

The co seemed to think that gifting a deer still means I'm at a possession of 5. I have searched the regs for an hour and can't find clarification on either gifting or eating. I know the eating part is a little hard but over on Haida gwaii you can go through a full deer in days with a few hungry fellas.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Bag limit question

Whether you eat it or gift it, you limit is the same. If you had a large moose hunting party and ate a small moose for camp meat, you do not get an extra one. You are allowed so many and that is it
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

But moose possession is 1 bag limit is 1.

Haida gwaii possession is 5 bag limit is 15. I can go home come back and get 5 more. I can't do that with moose because possession is 1?
    Last edited by madshawn; 11-14-2021 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Mixed up

Tried to make it simple, but NO you can not exceed your bag limit whether you give it away or not. I guess you want a loop hole to kill more than bag limit. The CO told you already, his word is generally over ours. I am sure many people will take grouse during a hunting trip and if camped probably eat them along with bringing home their full limit, but they still exceeded the limit correct ? The hunting synopsis is just that a Synopsis, a briefing of rules and regulations, they have a far more in depth rule book defining each aspect, so you probably will not find the wording and explanation you want in the synopsis

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Very true, I have also scoured the wildlife act but to no avail. I appreciate your insight. The co only talked about gifting not about eating. Also I am not looking for a loophole at all.

Cheers

If your limit on fish is 4, you catch your 4 go home gift them to your wife or eat them can you go catch 4 more ? We know people who have done what you are saying , I doubt it would be agreed as legal by CO

Actually you have that flipped around. Bag limit is 15 and possession is 5. This means that you cancel 15 tags all total and be in possession of 5 at a time. It doesn’t say what possession actually means. But I would figure it is the amount of deer you have with you at one time.

Possession is amount with you, except at the place you reside.

Here is how I understand the situation…….your legally allowed to tag 15 deer but only allowed to posses 5. So until you take your 5 deer to your primary residence/meat cutter you can’t tag any more. Once you’ve gone home you can go back and tag another 5.

In theory, Eating or giving deer meat away removes that deer from your possession but I believe they will get you because you didn’t take it to your primary residence or a meat cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
    But moose possession is 1 bag limit is 1.

Haida gwaii possession is 15 bag limit is 5. I can go home come back and get 5 more. I can't do that with moose because possession is 1?
    I think you've got the terms mixed up.
    When in doubt, just pin it.