Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope upgrade

Re: Scope upgrade

I looked through a HD5 that was mounted on a Fierce, was so impressed with the glass that just keep thinking that I should get one, or Santa could spring for it.

Check out the Nightforce line of scopes. I have a NX8 and have frequently shot out to over 1000 meters. Great glass and they are by far the toughest scopes out there... "according to US military test"- Todd Hodnet

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlayer View Post
    Check out the Nightforce line of scopes. I have a NX8 and have frequently shot out to over 1000 meters. Great glass and they are by far the toughest scopes out there... "according to US military test"- Todd Hodnet
    What reticle do you have in yours?
    Because in addition to their weight, I don't think they offer many hunting-friendly reticles. They seem much more suitable for long distance target shooting to me.

power range should be a real consideration
    Am a real fan of 1.5 to 2.5 max for the low end, often a simple design with no AO or side focus, but choices are limited
    2-10 or 2.5-8 are good imo
    Last edited by boxhitch; 11-15-2021 at 12:06 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I like the higher magnifications, they come in handy for counting points. A lot of times I just leave the scope on 9 power unless I head into the thick stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post

Firedot? how often do you have to replace the battery?

Probably every 5 years
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I like the leupold line up, and enjoy the aluma caps on them. Very nice feature.

The comparable swaro is a bit lighter, but not as much adjustability in them with only a 1" tube. The leica will be more $.

The NX8 jumps another $1K, and harder to justify for the benefits. Maybe it works for you tho. I did enjoy the skukum build of the Nightforce.

I can say this as I had an NXS, and upgraded from there. The NXS rode on the rifle for 5 years, and on the SXS and never let me down or skipped a beat, and never needed adjusting with probably 8000 kms or more, yes we rode hard, and sometimes covered some ground fast. Sometimes 200 kms a day. I don't know if I can say that the leupold would have held up to that abuse tho.