Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope upgrade

Scope upgrade

Anyone using the Leupold HD5 scopes? Looking for some real life reviews, would you recommend one or would we be better off with a Leica or Swarvo? pls don't suggest vortex as I'd never put one on a hunting rifle, doesn't matter how good everyone says the warranty is.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope upgrade

I've owned a number of Vx5 scopes, in 2-10x42 and 3-15x44. Great optics, great turret system, great Alumina scope covers available. I'd suggest the Firedot duplex as it makes those last few minutes of shooting light in the evening easier
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I've owned a number of Vx5 scopes, in 2-10x42 and 3-15x44. Great optics, great turret system, great Alumina scope covers available. I'd suggest the Firedot duplex as it makes those last few minutes of shooting light in the evening easier
    Firedot is great unless ypu have stigmatism.

I have one in 3-15x44, haven’t used it a hell of a lot yet but it’s an excellent scope from what I’ve seen. I’d buy another for sure.

I have one on my 375 Ruger, with the firedot reticle. Great scope. Buy with confidence. But so are Swarovski so you can't really go wrong.

Although I feel the Vortex Razor I just put on my mew 6.5 PRC is a better scope.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I can’t comment too much on mine. I picked it up my vx5 last summer and used it on a couple of hunts(haven’t actually shot anything). I ended up with the impact29 reticle. I like the reticle, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra cash.

What kind of hunting are you doing?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I can’t comment too much on mine. I picked it up my vx5 last summer and used it on a couple of hunts(haven’t actually shot anything). I ended up with the impact29 reticle. I like the reticle, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra cash.

What kind of hunting are you doing?
    Looking at one for my 338, moose and elk hunting, thick stuff to open cuts. I have Zeiss Conquest on it now, but will put that on my 25-06 for deer/bear hunts.

Firedot? how often do you have to replace the battery?

I would buy a Leica if that is within your budget

I might be wrong but I thought they were heavier than some of the other options. That might not be a concern for you though but something to look at. I went with a Swaro 4-12x50 this year and was very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Looking at one for my 338, moose and elk hunting, thick stuff to open cuts. I have Zeiss Conquest on it now, but will put that on my 25-06 for deer/bear hunts.

Firedot? how often do you have to replace the battery?
    I don’t know what kind of distance youre shooting, but I bought mine for the quality of glass, the lockable turret that seems to be a good compromise between exposed target turrets and the capped off style. I also like an moa reticle with the 30mm tube for the extra adjustments.

My moose gun has a 3x9 bushnell 3200 in 338 win mag. I don’t often see moose out too far and I don’t shoot it enough to shoot much past 200 yards. It’s also good for the amount of beating around it gets on the quad and bushwhacking around day in day out. It’s a bit of a workhorse.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.