Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who’s still using their first knife?

Who’s still using their first knife?

This thread started a few days ago when I my oldest asked me to help him pick out a knife for my youngest for their Christmas exchange. We started looking through some of the popular sites like grohmann, buck, gerber etc and then I dumped out my hunting bag out and showed him the knives I pack around and what I like about each one. Then we landed on the gerber I got when I was 12-14ish.

I remember how excited I was to get that knife and I remember how I planned on using it to gut and skin deer and told myself I’d never use it for the stupid stuff I do with other cheap knives like carving sticks and stuff. It was strictly for cutting up animals. Anyways it’s still one of my main knives in my pack 25 years or more later and I’m still only using it to cut up animals. It’s actually my number two knife behind my grohman moose and deer knife.

Anyways, it brought me down memory lane today so I thought I’d share and see how many of you other guys are still using the same knife for many decades, maybe you’ve even had one passed down for a couple of generations.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who’s still using their first knife?

Yes and no... it's a general purpose kitchen knife now. Not that great of quality. Since then I usually lose mine every year or two.

I am. I got this knife for Christmas when I was 13, which makes it 32 years old next month. I have only ever used it to clean animals, it’s still my favourite knife and comes with me on every trip. I still have the same Estwing pack axe I got around the same time. And the first rifle I ever bought which is a tack driver Krico, with the nicest action of any bolt action I’ve ever had.
    Twist and pull.

My first knife I got at age 5 never. Probably a Oldtimer, never left the house without it even to school. (Rule #9) But it’s long gone now. The last knife I bought was a Mora 3.5” over 35 years ago, has done a boxcar load of moose from the gut and skinning to cut and wrapping. Not to mention couple of thousand wiener roasting sticks and probably just about as many fish.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Folding Buck 110 bought in 77, still in my hunting pack.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I got a buck 105 when I was 18. Still my preferred knife to this day! Blade is a tiny bit narrower from the years of use, but still can do an entire moose or elk without a sharpening, from field dressing to skinning. I have a few others I like, I inherited an Old school old timer from a friends dad that is older than me that I am fond of! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I bought a large Buck clone G96 from Acme Novelty, a Jim Patterson mail order place.This was in the early '70s . Early Japanese stainless steel. Impossible to sharpen . Looks neat, though.

Puma Game Warden bought in 1978 in Ocean Falls. Was going to buy a buck but the salesman convinced me on the Puma. Good call.

I bought a Solengen knife in the late ‘50s from JK Novelty and Jewelry in Penticton. This was a time when Germany and Japan were allowed access to the North American marketplace as they were rebuilding their economies after WWII.
    Solengen steel was the best steel. Very hard and not easy to get a keen edge but once you did it lasted a long time. The knife came with a stag bone handle, nice to look at the the ridges made it uncomfortable to use so I exchanged it for a hand made fibreglass handle. Had it
    for many years but it disappeared about 10 or 15 years ago.
    I also have a Rapala knife from that era. This probably is the hardest steel. I lent it to a friend one day to skin out a lynx he got that day when we were hunting moose. I went home leaving him with instructions not to cut through bone. He calls me later in the evening that he is finished and that he nicked the edge. Yep, tried cutting through a small bone. Took me
    a long time to work the nick out. Still have the knife.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

No because I changed preferences as to what I consider a good field knife.

But current one has been with me for 10+ years.