Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doe LEH and buck limits

Doe LEH and buck limits

So...I'm pretty sure I'm reading this correctly but am looking for some confirmation: you can kill one mule buck in 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A&B and 8, combined. Get a buck in any of these and you're done for mule deer bucks for that year. You can't kill a MD buck in 3 and then go kill another MD buck in 4,5,6,7A&B or 8. So far so good.

But, if you get an LEH draw for a MD doe in any of those regions and kill one you can still kill a MD buck and be legal. Am I reading that right?

Thanks in advance. I don't always get the doe draw, and I won't dismiss them as a gimme, but when I do get a doe draw I still want to work on getting a buck in those areas that I think are going to hold a good one.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Doe LEH and buck limits

that table ong page 14 or 17 summarizes it nicely

Rob, good on you for the question.

If I am correct, that was PAST regulation .

I'm pretty sure now....... Provincial limit on MDeer is 1 total now regardless of change of zones, Leh doe or not.
    My understanding is 1 now.

I'm may be wrong.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Close, but not quite there. Page 17 of the regs has the table you need that lists total bag limit. Region 3 for example has a total limit of 1; either 1 buck or 1 anterless LEH. Regions 5 and 6 allow one of each.

Region 8 One

Thanks guys.

I'm going to wait for a few more answers, because I don't think any of you are hitting the bullseye (maybe you are, but I'm not sure, and I've got the regs up).

Classic problem, right? The regs try to make it as clear as they can, but it can still be confusing!
    Rob Chipman

Region's 1, 2, 5 & 6 you can take more than one mule deer. Regions 1 & 2 are vary on areas but provide options. Regions 3, 7, 8 you can only shoot one mule deer; either 1 buck or 1 doe but not both. Region 4 you can only shoot a buck mulie no doe. Regions 5 & 6 you could shoot a doe with your draw if you shoot a buck as well.

Clear as mud

There is one mule dear buck combined for regions 34567 and 8. Region 5 and region 6 if you have an LEH you can shoot a buck and a doe. If somebody has LEH antlerless in region 8 but shoots a buck in region 8 they can no longer use their LEH. If you shoot your buck in region 3 and have an LEH in region 8 you can still use your region 8 LEH.

The table on page 17 of the regulations is is pretty black-and-white no Gray area and pretty easy to read there is no excuse To go over your limit

Ok, so, various answers. Like bubbacanuck said: clear as mud, but I think he, sako79 and grantk got it right.

On page 17, looking at the table it *seems* to me to say 1 mule deer buck, 1 mule deer doe for 3. So, is the table saying you can take a buck *and* a doe from 3? No, be use the "Total" column says "1", so only one MD, regardless of sex, from 3

Same page it says "Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year, but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined".

That would conform with "only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3"

Except, if you go back to the table it says for 3 1 buck, 1 doe *total* mule deer 1, as bubbacanuck, sako79 and grantk say.

So...back to bubbacanuck's clear as mud comment: fill a mule deer doe LEH in Region 3 and I'm done in 3 for mule deer, but I could still go get a buck in 5, correct?

- I'm not exceeding the provincial 3 mule deer limit;
    - I can fill an antlerless mule deer LEH in Region 3 and be done with Region 3 (table says a total of 1 muley from 3);
    - I can fill another muley buck tag in 5, 6 and then I'm done with bucks from 3-8 (4 & 8 are now closed for the year and 7A&B are like 3 - one MD total);
    - I can still try for another muley/blacktail in 1 or 2 and if I fill that I'm done for mule/blacktail.

"Hunters may harvest.....3 mule (black- tailed) deer (if they purchase 3 mule (black-tailed) deer licenses).... providing they do not exceed the provincial limit of 3 and not more than 1 mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7A, 7B and
    8 combined."

Sound about right?

If so, thanks for the help guys!

Rob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Region's 1, 2, 5 & 6 you can take more than one mule deer. Regions 1 & 2 are vary on areas but provide options. Regions 3, 7, 8 you can only shoot one mule deer; either 1 buck or 1 doe but not both. Region 4 you can only shoot a buck mulie no doe. Regions 5 & 6 you could shoot a doe with your draw if you shoot a buck as well.

Clear as mud

Yes, for instance on Bowen or Texada you're allowed up to 3, but not more than 2 can be antlerless. Just figured I'd add this to confuse things further, lol.
    When in doubt, just pin it.