Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me how to "western hunt".

Re: Tell me how to "western hunt".

You will find having a 4x4 very handy if you enjoy the outdoors. It's one of those things that you're going to need sooner than later. I would say great binoculars before a spotter. But once you see how open some of the country is you're going to get one.

Hike high, glass,repeat.
    Blacktailaholic

Having moved from the East in 2019, the advice I can give you is do lots of research, don’t be afraid to get out of the truck and hike and ask as many questions as you can (which you seem to be already doing). Doing these things Ive took 2 black-bears, 2 whitetails and a mulie since I’ve got here.

You don't need a spotting scope unless you are going after sheep or goats. A 4x4 is very handy, but not a requirement. I hunt out of a car currently. It just means that I have to be in great hiking shape to get into the good game.

Agreed ^^^^, four wheel drive is not necessary but will give you a little piece of mind and possibly extend your season. You don’t NEED a spotter but they can come in handy when dealing with antler point restrictions (thinking elk here). Start with what you have and add/change equipment as necessary to suit your requirements.

to me 4x4 and good binos are an absolute necessity...spotting scope is optional

perhaps 4x4 might depend on the road systems you frequent....but if the OP plans to go full tilt into hunting out here, 4x4 vehicle would be my first priority

also, a zoleo, inreach, spot, or similar device is a necessity imo....unless you like very long walks to get cell reception when shit goes sideways
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

All hunting is the same food cover water....

Find the sign hunt the animal...if i am on a aimless search i am looking for the sign to find a pocket.