Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethic Question about road hunters VS real hunters

Re: Ethic Question about road hunters VS real hunters

I road hunt on a quad and “real hunt”. But every year I end up getting a deer and bear while I’m on my quad.

Most road hunters out hunt me every year. Alpine hunting doesn't cover a ton of ground

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    If your walking a road, any road, dead end of not, expect company. If it's public land, to bad, your choice of hunting a potential busy place. If it's a private road, gate or land, and you have company, doesn't sound so private.

Now if your walking along said road, and a vehicle of any kind comes up on you, have a calm respectful conversation, maybe they will turn around, maybe not, just remember your on a road, and don't own the place.

Recommendations, get off any beat on path, even a hundred yards or more, is better than a road, unless you like company and competition.
    Well stated,and I'm always respectful, and this situation was no different...I reported to the guys that I was on a stalk with an leh bull tag,there was game in front of me and I was trying to get a view....and road is a bit of an understatement, as it was a full grown in alder bash,but a vehicle could get through if your paint job doesn't matter,it's not a main road but really a skidder trail....but after I told my story, they just sifted by unphased,then 5 minutes after,they came back ...of course....so,as we all attempt, I hope, to hunt respectfully,I am simply wondering what the masses consider fair game....I think I'm getting the picture.
    Last edited by Ocender; 11-11-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Sounds like they figured a passing vehicle wasn't going to mess up your hunt, and in leaving would lessen any tension on the critters they may have created
    Hunt on
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    If your walking a road, any road, dead end of not, expect company. If it's public land, to bad, your choice of hunting a potential busy place. If it's a private road, gate or land, and you have company, doesn't sound so private.

Now if your walking along said road, and a vehicle of any kind comes up on you, have a calm respectful conversation, maybe they will turn around, maybe not, just remember your on a road, and don't own the place.

Recommendations, get off any beat on path, even a hundred yards or more, is better than a road, unless you like company and competition.
    Pretty much it.

There is a spot I usually go to on opening day in Region 2 where I've got a couple deer and a bear at a small landing at the end of a short otherwise dead-end road. It's a bit of a game trail. Seen moose on the very same spot too.

One time a pickup came up behind me as i walked up just before sunrise and turned around. Last year, some guys in a side-by-side just scooted by me in the dark as if I wasn't there.

It's a road, and I don't own it, so I can't really complain can I? I went off-road after that and didn't hear any shots so they didn't out-do me opening morning there anyway.

But you know what? The last three deer I have got have been on well-used deer trails 200 yards off busy roads within earshot of the quads and trucks going by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocender View Post
    Well stated,and I'm always respectful, and this situation was no different...I reported to the guys that I was on a stalk with an leh bull tag,there was game in front of me and I was trying to get a view....and road is a bit of an understatement, as it was a full grown in alder bash,but a vehicle could get through if your paint job doesn't matter,it's not a main road but really a skidder trail....but after I told my story, they just sifted by unphased,then 5 minutes after,they came back ...of course....so,as we all attempt, I hope, to hunt respectfully,I am simply wondering what the masses consider fair game....I think I'm getting the picture.
    Well with that information, then they were definitely being dicks.

Loose the terminology. Loose the judgement. People who hunt out of their vehicles have every right to do so and you hunting on foot are no more "ethical" than anyone else. You both have a right to be there. And you both have the right to be dicks about it so don't be surprised if that happens. The best way to avoid similar conflict is to stay off of roads if not be ready to run in to all manner of people; polite, assholes or otherwise its no different than walking down a street in town. Good luck with the rest of the season.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Not much would surprise me in this day and age of entitlement.....it's a "road"....best to avoid them even if partially grown in if you don't want unexpected company. IMO
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I understand where the OP is coming from to some degree but the way it was written breathed nothing but arrogance which makes it just as bad as the person he was so choked at. Society has changed, the new generation doesn't care if your feelings are hurt. The amount of rude hunters has increased 10 fold over the last few years. There is a reason why the lower mainland hunters are dreaded in so many areas. Obviously not all are bad but chances are, from my experiences, they reside in the same general area.

Hunt the roads on foot or vehicle and best be ready for this sort of thing….stop comparing types of hunters though, it just further divides us. It’s the same shit every time. Walking roads doesn’t make you any more of a “real” hunter than someone driving those same roads. Sounds like you are both dinks.