Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethic Question about road hunters VS real hunters

Re: Ethic Question about road hunters VS real hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Ocender View Post
    Well..ok...however as I stated initially, they saw me,drove up to me,we spoke about my intention and they drove past me....and it's actually not public land,privately owned island land with limited access to key holders....
    Perhaps sir, you should read the entire post,as it states the communication....also,nit sure what difference it makes my experience, but if you must know, around 40 years....guided for 12,mentored for as many and I guess if I see a guy in a zine hunting,it seems to me,it ought to be left to him,buy that's just me....high horse dismounted..

Perhaps sir, you should read the entire post,as it states the communication....also,nit sure what difference it makes my experience, but if you must know, around 40 years....guided for 12,mentored for as many and I guess if I see a guy in a zine hunting,it seems to me,it ought to be left to him,buy that's just me....high horse dismounted..
    If it’s private land by only key holders, how’d they get in? Did they have a key? If so, they should have the same rights as you, no?
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

If your walking a road, any road, dead end of not, expect company. If it's public land, to bad, your choice of hunting a potential busy place. If it's a private road, gate or land, and you have company, doesn't sound so private.

Now if your walking along said road, and a vehicle of any kind comes up on you, have a calm respectful conversation, maybe they will turn around, maybe not, just remember your on a road, and don't own the place.

Recommendations, get off any beat on path, even a hundred yards or more, is better than a road, unless you like company and competition.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

A real hunter would has chosen his op a little more carefully.

Just my opinion but if you’re not a road hunter than get off the road. Leave the road for the road hunters and head off into the bush. I’m actually in favour of closing heavily hunted areas to vehicle traffic to take some pressure off the game. It just sucks that not everybody has to follow those rules

I will share a story from last year though.

My party went down a road and parked our quads in the tree section before the area opened up before daylight. We walked the road so we were the only set of footprints past our quad and it would be quite obvious to see where our footprints ended and we left the road to walk down to a pond. We got to the pond and started calling for moose before the sun came up. At roughly 9am this other re-tard drove by our quads, we watched them drive around the other side of the pond and starts calling from the road about 500 yards away. I let out a couple of cow calls and they started getting excited that they had something on the go and I could see his partner circling down the road around us. Keep in mind I could see both of them the whole time and they have no idea I’m there. As they started circling I thought it was in my best interest to stand up and start walking out before I got shot. I got a bit ignorant with them, but it didn’t ruin my hunt
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

This seems like a troll thread, started to incite the masses by pitting one group against the other within the hunting community. Not going to bite.
    New member of ignore list.

Rod hunting is awesome ,it keeps 90 per cent of the hunters out of the bush where the game is.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

So....if you see a guy hunting in a zone walking and glassing as if he were on a stalk....would you

A-drive up to him and ask him stupid questions and then discover he has an LEH tag and he thinks he found game and after a brief explanation, you decided to drive past him into a dead end cutblock road the said guy is working and obviously you spooked the game as,well, you're a road hunter in a gated and locked out zone that very few people have access to with the exception of a few people including the "local nation"...or do you..

B....stop,watch and perhaps leave the area as quietly as possible

I know my answer but I have to say,I found myself very disappointed this season with hunters and for those on quads with pipes,wtf are you thinking,I can hear you several kms away,even a quiet machine but wtf are you doing with a piped machine road hunting....gawd...road hunters,damn....and you think you're going to kill a deer like that?.....rant over...but my question is the same.....what would you do and what is proper eticate?

Got to say this really pisses me off with the ignorant comment and the way you word this like you think you are better hunter walking a road rather than someone in a truck or quad driving slowly. I have had both knees replaced and both hips replaced and a spine operation due to extensive Arthritis. But I can promise you I did a lot more hiking up and down mountains when there was no roads for you to take a stroll along . Arrogant attitude you have is ridiculous about who is a hunter and who isn't. If I DROVE or RODE up and see a person on a dead end road walking I would let them be, but if I seen someone doing this knowing the road either makes it through to another area or goes on for 10 km through a valley then I am going through, and will respect that hunter, but you do not get to claim ALL public land because you think walking a road makes you a " Real Hunter " Growing up hunting I would see much older retired guys successfully get very decent deer every season by lowly road hunting. They were slow and constantly glassing, and knew when and where to go, too bad they were not really hunters walking a public road like you.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Realistically, anything goes because there are no agreed upon rules of Hunter etiquette. Everybody has there own idea of what that is.
    Last year a truck full of guys got pissed at me because I was passing them on a logging road 1st thing in the morning. I was heading for a specific spot to park the truck and disappear into the bush for the day. The road system goes for many km’s and has roads off of it. These guys thought it was their right to drive that road system slowly with out anyone passing them, because they got there first. That’s their Hunter etiquette.
    I’ve seen others put their camp across the road that access an area with many km’s of roads and they think anyone trying to go around it is breaking Hunter etiquette because it’s obvious their group is hunting there.

There is no agreed upon “Hunter etiquette” so the only thing to do is accept that we are all trying to use the same resource, and your plans for use may not work out. It becomes a competition. Best to calmly communicate with other hunters and try to work it out.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 11-11-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Slightly off topic, but I've got this great cammo onsie zip up suit that's so damn comfortable for road hunting, but its getting worn out and i'd like to go with something that sheds the dorito crumbs better. Still looking for that sleep wear type comfort, but improved from my old worn out fleece any ideas? Also, tech tip, I've recently found my spotting scope works a lot better now that I've rain guarded my windshield. Real game changer.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this