Thread: Getting a foot in the door into Guiding

Getting a foot in the door into Guiding

How would a guy get into this, i'm guessing you would start as a Guide assistant/helper?

Is there any future in it for residents (non indian status), or even just the industry as a whole?

Anybody with experience anything you would recommend/not recommend?

And if I were to pursue this I hear good things about some and bad things about others, so obviously getting in with a good outfit is what you want to do.

Thanks for anyone who can chime in, my biggest passion in life is Hunting, Wildlife and the Wildneress. Each day that passes I find it harder for me to be in town/the city anymore than I have to be (or at all really) just a thought for now thats all.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting a foot in the door into Guiding

My experience is that guiding takes the fun out of your own personal hunting. If you want more hunting or outdoor life move to a small town or out of town with some acreage with good hunting/fishing/hiking and enjoy.

I gotta figure that the best way in, as with most industries, is to contact someone in the industry (i.e., a guide, outfitter, or wrangler) and offer to start out as a gopher.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    My experience is that guiding takes the fun out of your own personal hunting. If you want more hunting or outdoor life move to a small town or out of town with some acreage with good hunting/fishing/hiking and enjoy.
    I’ve heard the same from a couple friends that did it.

find a job where you can work your arse off and take the season off for yourself

Lots of info available for those interested.
    Contact the GOABC.
    You will most likely find the following out through time.
    Unless you are single, or live life as you want, not an issue with your wife ( or partner as they say now day), being away along time with almost no contact, you like kissing butt, your a rental so to speak, your bottom of the bucket, unless your part owner, unless you have been there for years and years, your low man on the pole, some outfits will reward their guide with a temptation of you work for me , you do as I say when I say, for 3,4 or 5 years, I'll let you shoot a Ram, or a Billy, or a Bull under my quota.
    It's fun and tons of hard work and dedication, if you have a love for the outdoors and nature. It's not for everyone, like any business, the ones at the top are the ones that get richer.
    Personally, I'd never work for a owner that's not aCanadian resident, but even many of these outfits beware your just not being used.
    No different than the fish guiding industry, ask part time fish guides how they are treated by the big outfits.
    Many are users, nothing but, there are a few good employers, but it will take you years and years to get that well deserved reputation and pay.
    It's a matter of lifestyle.
    Single, no family, no commitments, no obligations, no expectations about sums it up.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    How would a guy get into this, i'm guessing you would start as a Guide assistant/helper?

Is there any future in it for residents (non indian status), or even just the industry as a whole?

Anybody with experience anything you would recommend/not recommend?

And if I were to pursue this I hear good things about some and bad things about others, so obviously getting in with a good outfit is what you want to do.

Thanks for anyone who can chime in, my biggest passion in life is Hunting, Wildlife and the Wildneress. Each day that passes I find it harder for me to be in town/the city anymore than I have to be (or at all really) just a thought for now thats all.
    I am quite close with the folks at BC Backcountry and Beyond and can put you in touch... they have two large territories in BC and also guide in Mexico etc.
    Shoot me a pm and I'll get you connected

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I’ve heard the same from a couple friends that did it.

find a job where you can work your arse off and take the season off for yourself
    I have heard this as well, but also know of guys who have been guiding up north for a long time and are as passionate as ever, but just thinking about it for now anyways. I have a long time to think it over. Also switching from Welding (already got red seal) to Millwright so if I wanted to work part of the year then take all season off should be do able with that, but then limited scouting.

Not sure if most guide/assistant jobs are all year or just part of the year. I would figure there is both but what is more common

Quote Originally Posted by jan.wi97 View Post
    I am quite close with the folks at BC Backcountry and Beyond and can put you in touch... they have two large territories in BC and also guide in Mexico etc.
    Shoot me a pm and I'll get you connected
    Dude, thank you!

This is what makes this site great, knowledge and people willing to help, along with all the BC game of course and the success and stories.