Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What knives do use for cleaning and butchering game and fish?

Re: What knives do use for cleaning and butchering game and fish?

I have a Buck Vanguard #192 that I carry on my belt. This knife is really nice. Sv30 steel is crazy sharp and holds its edge forever. The rosewood handle is a thing of beauty and the leather sheath is very well made. This knife is worth every penny I paid for it.
    I keep an Outdoor edge change-a-blade in my kill kit as a spare. These are very utilitarian knives that get the Job done. Nothing fancy, not a thing of beauty, but darn practical. I do like practical gear!
    I also keep my father’s Solingen “Buffalo Skinner” in the door pocket of my jeep. The knife has a carbon steel blade that can be sharpened to a wicked edge. I love this knife because it was my father’s and it is a heck of a knife.
    I find the Buck #192’s drop point style blade a bit more handy than the Solingen’s skinner type blade.
    All three of these knives are excellent and would recommend them to anyone.
    I would be remiss if I didn’t mention my Leatherman Wave that I carry on my belt almost everyday of my life. I use this knife so many times in a day that I can’t be without it. It really does do it all!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Cleaning and processing my havalon. And my silky saw at home butchering a butcher buddy gave me some off brand boning knife the little havalon will more than do the job they are litterally a scapul with a replaceable blade and they actually have bonesaw and guthook atachments I carry a seperate set of knives incase its lost and was recently gifted a kabar used my havalon that the silky big boy for the h bone cut and my deer was in the coolers in an hour flat

I use a havalon for skinning, and then a combo of a Victorinox and a Japanese boning knife to carve up the meat. The victorinox does the grunt work, and the Japanese boning knife is incredible for the silver skin removal and other fine work.

https://knifewear.com/products/kasum...ant=5314082948

I’ve gone through an entire moose and elk without needing to sharpen the Kasumi.