Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your most offal recipe?

What is your most offal recipe?

I’ve always been a fan of the 5th quarter. I am slaughtering two lambs this weekend for a friend, and will get to keep the good bits. Got me thinking of what to do with them, and what recipes you might have.

I am also curious how far you’ve taken it with eating wild game offal.

so far, I’ve had heart/liver n onions, deep fried heart, heart chili…thinking about maybe trying to make haggis with the lamb lungs this round?

anyone make a good kidney pie? I want to make a nice head cheese sometime but this CWD business has me on edge about that.

what do you like to make?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What is your most offal recipe?

Your what's known as a Gut Man extraordinaire.

We do the hearts, the livers, Plus the toungue on moose Elk and bison.
    One buddy used to take the kidneys, uhmmmmm no thanks.
    Oh and I've always liked pickled pigs feet. Lol.

But, but , but, the LUNGS really? Have at er ! Go for it !

Let us know how strong the kidney pie tasted like piss, and lungs .
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I save the heart, liver, kidneys, brains and tongue and eat them on their own.

My wife makes what she calls pannas from the spleen and lungs and all the bloodshot bits we trim off the deer. It all goes into the meat grinder and then mixed with ground buckwheat and baked in a Pyrex meat loaf dish and that is what it is, a meat loaf of sorts. It is kind of a blood sausage but not in a skin or sausage shaped.

With big critters like elk and moose I save the lower legs and hooves and clean them thoroughly with dish soap and a vigorous brushing, and
    then boil them until I can pop the hard horn off the inner hoof kind of like shelling a peanut and then I freeze the hooves individually and and Mrs. pressure cook 'em for soup.

I save all the bones for soup and make soup out of the skinned out head too.

Compared to someone using the "gutless" method of dressing out a deer for the meat only leaving the bones in the bush I probably get twice the meals out of an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Your what's known as a Gut Man extraordinaire.

We do the hearts, the livers, Plus the toungue on moose Elk and bison.
    One buddy used to take the kidneys, uhmmmmm no thanks.
    Oh and I've always liked pickled pigs feet. Lol.

But, but , but, the LUNGS really? Have at er ! Go for it !

Let us know how strong the kidney pie tasted like piss, and lungs .
    hahaha yeah I should clarify - I have not had kidney pie or haggis. Still working up the courage.

tongue is good! I also have had blood (black) sausage, quite tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post

My wife makes what she calls pannas from the spleen and lungs and all the bloodshot bits we trim off the deer. It all goes into the meat grinder and then mixed with ground buckwheat and baked in a Pyrex meat loaf dish and that is what it is, a meat loaf of sorts. It is kind of a blood sausage but not in a skin or sausage shaped.

With big critters like elk and moose I save the lower legs and hooves and clean them thoroughly with dish soap and a vigorous brushing, and
    then boil them until I can pop the hard horn off the inner hoof kind of like shelling a peanut and then I freeze the hooves individually and and Mrs. pressure cook 'em for soup.

Compared to someone using the "gutless" method of dressing out a deer for the meat only leaving the bones in the bush I probably get twice the meals out of an animal.
    Wow, impressive. Not many women would make something like that, something she learned to like as a young lady?

I’m not sure eating brains from any animal is a good choice !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post

Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I eat liver, kidneys, tongue and heart. I'll also eat tripe but never think to take the stomach of a moose or deer. Maybe I will try it.

I love good ol liver and onions but sometimes I make liver with Asian flavours. Marinating the liver overnight in soy/garlic/ginger/5 spice seems to make even liver haters want more.

This is kind of a Mexican liver dish. With green salsa and pickled onions.

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    I’ve always been a fan of the 5th quarter. I am slaughtering two lambs this weekend for a friend, and will get to keep the good bits. Got me thinking of what to do with them, and what recipes you might have.

I am also curious how far you’ve taken it with eating wild game offal.

so far, I’ve had heart/liver n onions, deep fried heart, heart chili…thinking about maybe trying to make haggis with the lamb lungs this round?

anyone make a good kidney pie? I want to make a nice head cheese sometime but this CWD business has me on edge about that.

what do you like to make?

Never heard of making Haggis with the lungs. I had to look that up and didn't realize there was lungs in there. Interesting. Thanks, learned something new. I've had (allegedly) traditional Haggis that I cooked for a Robbie Burns dinner. I picked them up at a butcher. They were damn tasty. Enough that I had 2nds and 3rds and then finished it off. It was for a dinner party and most everyone had 2nds.

Personally I save the heart and liver. Filet and clean the heart so there is only muscle, no organ tissue left. Fry that blue rare in butter and it is so tasty. I bring the liver to my brother's wife and she makes incredible pate with it. (Except this year, brought her the liver from my ram and she almost murdered me. Apparently 8 months pregnant with twins and raw liver don't mix).

Tried the nuts once. My uncle used to cook bull balls when they were turned into steers, I remember those being tasty. Deer nuts weren't quite as good. Edible, but I probably won't go for it a 2nd time.

Kidneys are good but you have to know how to clean them properly.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I eat liver, kidneys, tongue and heart. I'll also eat tripe but never think to take the stomach of a moose or deer. Maybe I will try it.

I love good ol liver and onions but sometimes I make liver with Asian flavours. Marinating the liver overnight in soy/garlic/ginger/5 spice seems to make even liver haters want more.

This is kind of a Mexican liver dish. With green salsa and pickled onions.

those liver dishes look great!

if the wild game tripe is as neutral as beef tripe I reckon it would be worthwhile.