Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your most offal recipe?

Re: What is your most offal recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Wow, impressive. Not many women would make something like that, something she learned to like as a young lady?
    Yeah, they sold calves hoofs for soup in Germany when she was a kid, and I'm not sure what traditional pannas is made from, but she asked me to bring everything home I could from the innards except the intestines and stomach so she could utilize them. Can't stand to see waste.

Kidneys are good . You just need to boil the piss out of em !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thanks to my maternal Grandmother I have eaten all internal organs and can’t say that I didn’t like any that she cooked. Don’t recall kidneys or brains but can’t say for sure.
    Haggis, yumm.
    They are out there,they look like us,they talk like us, but they ain’t us.

unfortunately most of you don't know how good small intestines are on the bbq
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Kidneys are good . You just need to boil the piss out of em !
    Arctic Lake
    Soak them in salt water for 24 hours, changing water several times.

I keep the heart and eat it as regular meat.. the liver is usually sliced thin and fast fried ..straight up with onions and bacon... or ground up with pork and spices to make a pate..the tongues and lungs are kept by my older hunting partner so they do get used just not by me....I tried the mixed meat in gravy dish made from them but didn't really like the texture of the lungs too much...

Heart hardly ever makes it out of camp. Same fate befalls the tongue a lot of times. Those two are, in my opinion, the best and easiest intro to eating something that isn't straight up meat. I've had a few guys look sideways at it before, and then ask for more after.

My wife bought the dog some lamb lung treats during the summer so I brought home deer lungs and just dehydrated them. Looking good. Hunting partner of Vietnamese background was willing to take lungs for human food, and she is an excellent cook, so...

I've got a liver ready to go but think I'll try some sort of liver based sausage. Probably going to try one of Hank Shaw's recipes - Hunter, Angler, Gardner, Cook.

Haven't done kidneys, and have not done brains.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Haven't done kidneys, and have not done brains.
    I don't know if eating wild game brains is a great idea. Isn't that where some diseases are harbored?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I don't know if eating wild game brains is a great idea. Isn't that where some diseases are harbored?
    Yes, such as CWD - definitely would never even consider eating brains.

When i was younger slaughtering your own pigs was standrard winter prep.
    It was a team effort from house to house so there was usually 10 or so people involved in the process.

blood sausage in the pig's own intestines was definitely a thing. I don't think anyone makes it anymore, nor puts in the time and effort to thoroughly clean and wash the intestines anymore for that.
    Lungs and livers were eaten - don't recall Kidneys. Off putting smell and require too much prep.
    brains - definitely not.

My favorite as a kid was Cvarci (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cvarci) Similar to pork rinds, but better.

I do enjoy deer heart. Have kept it from the last couple of deer and i like the taste and the texture as well. Simple to make as well - just eat it fresh