Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An elk bowhunting adventure

An elk bowhunting adventure

With everything going on in Southern BC and all the COVID talk I feel it's time to share an elk hunting story.

It had been a busy September. My wife's cousin and a friend came over from Alberta and I hunter hosted them. We filled a few tags for them and one for my Father in law.

I enjoy hunting with others but as a bowhunter I couldn't wait for a day that I could go for a morning on my own.

There was a spot that was tough to get to. It requires a 4 mile hike in the dark and the wind has to be just right.

The first morning that worked I was running a bit behind. In order to be successful I needed to play the wind and geography just right. I needed to parallel the herd until they turned and then move in to intercept them.

As I hustled through the pre-dawn light, I could hear the bull announcing his presence as he followed his cows towards the dark timber.

The dew was heavy and I was thankful that I had chosen to wear my rain pants. It was cool enough that I knew it was going to freeze briefly as the sun started to rise. I shivered but it wasn't from the cold. It was a shiver of excitement and anticipation of what adventure awaited.

Two miles in and I knew I wasn't going to catch up to intercept this herd. I was frustrated with myself for being late. Stopping for a drink and a snack, I pondered what to do. Should I wait for them to bed and do my best interpretation of the tooth fairy? Should I back out and give it a try another day? Or should I just bow my head, throw up a prayer and go at them and try and call the bull back?

With things to do at work later in the afternoon, I mentally crossed off plan A.

Having already hiked two miles, i decided that I would rather try plan C and do a four mile walk of shame after trying, as opposed to a two mile walk of shame because of lack of effort.

Extra layers were stripped off. Bow strapped to the pack for some serious, ground covering effort and I was off again. I was motivated. With renewed energy I set off to attack the dead fall ahead.

Climbing up on the first tree, i heard a new bull cracked off in response to the herd bulls serenade. Pausing to listen, the herd bulls response was immediate and intense. Things were heating up fast.

That is all for tonight. Will post more tomorrow while I sit in my deer blind

2. Site Sponsor

Re: An elk bowhunting adventure

Nice. Elk with a bow is a challenge for sure, looking forward to the rest.

The herd bull had no interest in the satellite bull. Why would he? He already had the cows. His bugles became fainter as he pushed them faster towards safety.

Try as I might, there was no way that I could gain ground on a herd of elk that were moving that fast. Apparently the upstart bull felt the same way as he changed directions. He was really wound up and was throwing challenge bugles out to who ever would listen.

He didn't sound very mature but he was just the right size to follow to more elk. No need for me to call, I will get the wind in my favor and just follow him to the rest of the elk.

It didn't take long. Twenty minutes later he led me through a thick swampy area that all of a sudden opened up into a stand of large poplar trees. Perfect. The area was pounded with elk trails and covered with rubs.

The small bull bugled ahead and I got my first glimpse of him through the trees. Just a small 4x4. Legal but not on my hit list today.

The echo from his bugle hadn't even died when there was a response to my left. And one to my right. And one, no two, no three....... I lost track of how many bulls were going. I was literally surrounded.

I just stood there and listened. This was what I search for every year. To be on the X. The middle of a bugling frenzy. To be in the right place at the right time.

Checking the wind I realized I needed to quickly back track a couple hundred yards and swing further to the right or that bull would wind me and screw up the whole affair.

With that done, I slowly eased forward, lifting my feet high with each step to reduce the slight scratching sound the under brush would make on my pants.

For once it looked like my timing might be perfect. I could hear cow and calf calls and as the herds moved closer together the bulls bugles became more agressive. It was chaos.

Trying to find a good spot to set up, I caught movement at about 70 yards. It was a great 6x6. He let out a scream that seemed to reverberate off of my bones. There was an instant response the same distance to my left and out step another great 6x6. I was almost in the path of these two bulls.

As they made eye contact, they lowered their heads and charged. CRASH! Twenty yards in front of me these to magnificent bulls came together. This was no play fight. This was a winner take all.

They pushed and shoved. Grunted and squeeled. Gained ground and lost ground.

Try as I might, I could not get an ethical shot in on the bigger of the two. When the fight ended, they were fifty yards and when they separated the smaller bull ran by me at less than 10 yards. The bigger bull paused at 60 to throw one last insult in the losers "general Direction" and pushed his new lady friends into a low area surrounded by spruce trees.
    Last edited by bwhnter; 11-19-2021 at 11:32 AM.

It don't get any better 'n this! I woulda had wood for a week watching that.

omg! that sounds intense, excited for the rest.

Moving ever so slowly I worked my way towards the big bull. He was bugling and glunking as he tended to his cows. I hit him with my range finder and he was 60 yards. Right at the edge of my preferred range but still well within my comfort range. The only problem was that the only time he stopped was in the cover of the over hanging spruce bows.

Patiently, I stood there for an hour. It was amazing to just watch their interactions and hear there vocalizations at such a close range.

I had several smaller bulls come in under 30 yards and each time I hoped that the big bull would bust cover to run one of them out. Each time all he had to do was stick his head out and give a small growl and the lesser bulls would back off.

I heard at least two more battles in the time I was standing there but was focused on the bull in the slough.

With my patience wearing thin and feeling the pressure to get back I tried to force my hand a bit by moving towards him. I knew better. It seldom works.

An unseen cow picked me off. Stare down time. Then a bark that sounded right in my ear made me jump. Having been in the action so long and drinking a couple of coffee's on the drive in, there was almost an accident.

A small bull had walked up directly behind me and was only 15 feet away. I had been so focused on the action in front, that I hadn't heard him approach.

The elk all busted. It sounded like a stampede.

Dejected and yet excited I started my walk out.
    Here is a pic of one of the bulls. I pulled it from a video that I took with my phonehttp://

I made the trek two more time and had limited success. I called in a few bulls but neither one of the bigger bulls.

Finally, October 16th I headed in super early. The first 3 miles were covered in the dark. I had found a well used game trail and better creek crossings so I made it in good time.

Standing in the dark I could hear bull moose grunts and cow moose moans. Way off in the distance a couple of bull elk were singing their melody to the first shards of daylight that were appearing on the eastern horizon.

On my previous trips I had found a peat moss bog that was obviously a favorite place for them to bed for the day.
    From the sounds of their approach, it looked like that would be their choice for the day.

Trying to appear as an early morning shadow, I approached the bog.

Snow started to fall. Big white flakes. A person doesn't realize it but a snow fall makes a fair bit of noise and it also muffles miss steps and mistakes.

80 yards out a cow and calf appear out of the snow as if by magic. The calf pegs me and bolts. I have seen this before. I stand stalk still. The all knowing mother looks around for a few seconds and then goes back to browsing. She chalks up the calves behavior to youthful exuberance. The calf calms down enough that they move out of sight and allow me to carry on.

I am late in the foot race now and the remainder of the herd has made the shelter of the bog. At one hundred yards I get a flash of antler and pull up my binos to take a look. It's the loser of the fight. He is back. He is standing in the middle of 6 bedded cows.

I need to close the distance. The snow picks up and I use its cover to silently advance Twenty yards.

The snow slows and so do I. The snow covered my approach but it also cover the approach of another cow and two calves. Less than 20 yards and they dig out their day beds and lie down. S$%t! Now what?
    The bull is still eighty yards away and I am stuck.

The only path to success was going to be patience and prayer. Unlike the first day I had all day to get it done.

One hour rolled by. The bull didn't move. Two hours....My pack was starting to dig into my shoulders and my mind kept reminding me that it was the sandwich and thermos of hot coffee that was so heavy.

I needed to shed my pack. Ever so slowly I hung my bow on a tree limb and when the wind and snow picked up I used that opportunity to slip out of my pack and place it on the ground.

Re arming myself, I set my mind into patience mood again.

A soft bugle came out of the bog to my immediate right. Instantly the herd bull ripped off a bugle as if to say "This seat is taken".
    Last edited by bwhnter; 11-19-2021 at 12:54 PM.

The cow at his feet jumped up and headed towards me. This was what I had been waiting for. Setting my feet I prepared for the shot.

The bull started glunking and following her. She didn't like his advances and she kept coming. At 30 yards they dipped into the tamaracks and reappeared at 20 yards. At full draw I tried to find my anchor point but it didn't feel right. The bull paused for a second and the went deeper into the thick trees.

Letting down I was frustrated with myself. What was going on? I had shot with all of my gear during practice but something just felt off. Had I blown my chance?

As the bull dogged the cow around the bog I could keep track of their movement from the bugling, glunking and breaking branches. This went on for nearly 30 minutes. Then it went quiet. Had they bedded down again? Had they moved away out the other side? Apprehension set in. Should I try and get passed these bedded cows? Should I bugle?

Slowly, I took my release off of the string and began to move my hand towards my bugle tube. Just as my fingers encircled the end, the bull ripped a bugle and he and the cow busted out fifty-five yards ahead.

Quickly, reattaching my release I came to full draw. Splitting my fifty and sixty yard pins I tried to settle in for the shot. Once again something felt off. Them it dawned on me. My diaphragm call. It was I my cheek and it was making my anchor point feel off.

Spitting it out I set my anchor.

But wait! I didn't hear it hit the ground. Glancing down, to my horror, I see it neatly sitting up against my lower cam. If I shoot now it will definitely derail my string.

Tilting my bow I give it a slight shake. No luck. It seems to be stuck there like a mountain house turd.

Opportunity passing. Blood pressure rising. I shake my bow like it owes me money. Success as it falls to the ground.

Looking up, I see all of the elk on their feet staring at me. They look like bystanders at a car wreck. They aren't sure what to do.

That moment of hesitation was all I needed. Pins settle. Anchor is good. Squeeze the shoulders and arrow is away.
    Last edited by bwhnter; 11-19-2021 at 12:57 PM.

I loose track of the arrow as it cuts through the falling snow. The trajectory looked good and it was confirmed when I hear the impact of the arrow. The bull basically climbed over the cow he had been chasing in his attempt to escape what he thought was attacking him.

The bog comes alive with elk. There were way more than I had thought. At least 30-40.
    The outlying bulls, unsure what has happened, start screaming and chasing the cows.

I knock another arrow and start glassing the area that the mortally hit bull had run to. It is too thick, I can't see anything.

Off to my left a bull is coming in hot. Glassing him, I see he is an old 5x6. He puts on quite the show for me as I wait to take up the blood trail. He really impressed me on his ability to knock the bark off a lot of treed in a short period of time.