Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pack Choice for hauling deer out

Re: Pack Choice for hauling deer out

I prefer an external frame pack in open country where there are few obstacles and when just used as a meat hauler (hauling buddies moose). I use my internal for longer trips, especially in a bush-whack to the alpine hunt.
    I guess my advice is buy one of each so you have all bases covered.

Coyote,

If you are only day hunting where you are walking into a spot and sitting, an external frame will suit you fine as a meat hauler. Lots of options out there and some sure don't break the bank. Too easy to attach any sort of daypack you may already have to it.

If you a stillhunting in close or sneaking around with a bow, I'd say you might be disappointed in an external frame. Not sure where you are, but I'm mid island. I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame with a tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on it that you can try to see if it's the direction you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BearStump View Post
    I have the Cabela's prestige pack frame which is pretty inexpensive. and I got an Alpz outdoors commander pack frame bag from amazon that I attached to it. its a perfect set up for me. all my day hunt stuff fits in just the exterior pouches of the bag, and the main compartment stays collapsed. It opens up huge for packing meat when there's meat to be hauled. And my favorite part of the whole thing is that I have removed the top metal hoop from the frame and the nub at the top is perfect for hooking my rifle sling over. I cant stand when the sling strap constantly slides off my shoulder.
    I used a similar setup for the past 6 or so years and like you loved hooking my rifle sling over the frame. Mine was a Cabelas Alaskan Pack with a Tatonka Lastenkraxe Bag ( as stated above). Worked very well for me on a few week long backpack hunts for G bear/goats and hauled a pile of deer, blackbear and elk. Didn't work well when I was in thick cover. Constantly hooked on branches, was noisy and really limited how much I could twist and turn to go under/over/around snags and blowdowns. They do however make great shooting rests.

I switched this year to a mystery ranch pack/bag for 2 reasons. Comfort and Stealth. Lots of reviews on how much weight these packs can haul but I guarantee I can't max it out. The external frame pack gave away my position on more than 1 occasion and the width of the frame limited my arm mobility. Not bad for a day hunt but after a week of goat hunting it was a bit of a pain.

My Mystery Ranch pack gives me so much more mobility and range of motion while maintaining a good load hauling capability. Compared to my old cabelas alaskan, to the mystery ranch is like comparing sitting on a 10" stump to sitting on a lazy boy.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-08-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’ll repeat myself. Gunbearer.
    I have one. It's ok for the pack in and pack out but I don't like it for when you're "in the zone". Then i find it too slow to get the gun out.

Also, after a few seasons the scope under your arm pit really starts to get annoying.

Last but not least : it pisses me off when I have a headlamp on and it constantly glares off the barell that's right in front of my eyes and back into my eyes.

I made a cart from an old baby stroller. It has air inflated wheels. Just for deer.
    My back, hips and knees say no more packing.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Bullpac, l love mine. External all the way for hauling dead animals
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I’ve owned and tried most every pack, Mystery Ranch Nice and Guide Lite frames, Exo Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Cabelas External Frame Pack, Barney’s, Sitka Gear, and for me and my full bodied figure Mystery Ranch Nice Frame is the most comfortable with a load on me,

they all worked fine some were just more comfortable for me, my older brother who is slim loves his KUIU pack which was the lightest of the bunch but least comfortable for me.

Exo Mountain Gear was the next best to the MR for me.

So it’s best to try a bunch out and see what fits your budget and physical stature for comfort under load.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

MR. have a marshall and a pintler. marshall has hauled moose, elk, comfortably with no problems.
    in the fall i run the pintler for day/overnighters and use a drybag and the load hauler for sloppier blacktail hunts.

Your answer is right here
    External Pack Frame for Sale (huntingbc.ca)

Pro's: Bag comes on and off easily and the frame is more than capable of packing deer, goats, sheep or whatever else you want to strap onto it.
    Can lash a small day pack to the frame for day hunts.
    Great price. These were about $225 new
    Rugged!! My brother and son both have/use one of these. They have used them on multi day sheep hunts, multi day high country deer hunts and several moose hunts.

Con's: not quiet
    Semper in excretum altum

I use an old Camp Trails external frame pack.

It has a fold-down shelf on the bottom so if the chunk of meat is too large for the cargo bag, I can place it on the shelf and lash it to the frame.

Mystery ranch from great north prescion...great inveatment