Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pack Choice for hauling deer out

Pack Choice for hauling deer out

My old bones are getting tired of dragging deer so I'm looking at packing them out. What are the pros and cons of a pack frame vs an internal frame pack?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pack Choice for hauling deer out

Internal frames are a little easier to maneuver in the thick stuff and are quieter. They are generally more expensive as well. External frames are noisier, hang up on brush more but are generally cheaper to buy. They offer more tie down points as well. Not always but in general the internal packs are better designed and carry weight better. I have run both and prefer the internal frame.
    And yes, its waaaay easier to carry an animal than it is to drag it!

I have a seek outside external frame I like it a lot

I use a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a meat hauler attachment. I would describe the MR frame as a bit of a hybrid in that it's comfortable like an internal but also rigid and you can attach different pouches to it. PG66 would always use a standard pack frame and attach a dry bag or day pack to it, which was less expensive and works fine, just less comfortable and easier to snag on bush.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Internal frames are a little easier to maneuver in the thick stuff and are quieter. They are generally more expensive as well. External frames are noisier, hang up on brush more but are generally cheaper to buy. They offer more tie down points as well. Not always but in general the internal packs are better designed and carry weight better. I have run both and prefer the internal frame.
    And yes, its waaaay easier to carry an animal than it is to drag it!
    What kind of pack frame are you talking about? The newer hunting bags are pretty similar to an internal frame except for the weight and maybe the load being slightly further out. I’ve used the old aluminum framed pack frames that sound similar to what you’re describing.

I also use a mystery ranch, but the guide lite frame with a Marshall bag. I find the suspension doesn’t quite fit right until there’s a load on it so it feels funny to use as a day bag. I wouldn’t use an internal frame bag, just because I wouldn’t want it covered in blood and try to tie a carcass down to it. A frame with a meat shelf or load shelf is definitely the way to go, just find one that fits properly. It’s best if you can find a few people nearby that have different frames to check out.

And then pick yourself up a gun bearer and you’ll be set.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have the Cabela's prestige pack frame which is pretty inexpensive. and I got an Alpz outdoors commander pack frame bag from amazon that I attached to it. its a perfect set up for me. all my day hunt stuff fits in just the exterior pouches of the bag, and the main compartment stays collapsed. It opens up huge for packing meat when there's meat to be hauled. And my favorite part of the whole thing is that I have removed the top metal hoop from the frame and the nub at the top is perfect for hooking my rifle sling over. I cant stand when the sling strap constantly slides off my shoulder.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by BearStump View Post
    I cant stand when the sling strap constantly slides off my shoulder.
    It's right up there with skipping windshield wipers as the most annoying f***n thing on this planet!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    It's right up there with skipping windshield wipers as the most annoying f***n thing on this planet!
    I’ll repeat myself. Gunbearer.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Best thing you can do is buy a number of frames that interest you. Try them, both with weight and without. Then return the frames you don't like. I checked with 4 or 5 of the major brands, and they were all more then happy to allow this. They even encouraged it. Once you are settled on a frame, then order the bag you want.

The new frames have really become a hybrid of internal and external framed packs. They are superior to anything I've tried over the years, but they are also priced accordingly. I prefer the Seek Outside Revolution frame, insane that something so light can pack such stupid weights and be so comfortable.

Other brand names to look at are Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain Gear, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch. Yes they are expensive and yes they are worth it.

If you live near Squamish, you could try my Seek Outside frame.

I had a tatonka frame pack that was amazing for hauling stuff around but it had so many squeaks to it it drove me mental! Went with a kuiu pack and I haven’t had a major load in it yet but super quite and comfy so far
    Member of CCFR