Thread: November Whitetail 8-14

November Whitetail 8-14

Hey guys,
    Just looking for some pointers about whitetail behaviour in the 8-14ish area. Not looking for spots. Just wondering if Bucks are more likely to be down at the valley bottom near private land or if it’s worth it to go for a hike.
    I’m fortunate enough to be able to hunt (a small) plot of private land if that’s the better option.
    Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: November Whitetail 8-14

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just looking for some pointers about whitetail behaviour in the 8-14ish area. Not looking for spots. Just wondering if Bucks are more likely to be down at the valley bottom near private land or if it’s worth it to go for a hike.
    I’m fortunate enough to be able to hunt (a small) plot of private land if that’s the better option.
    Thank you
    It will all depend on where the does are. If there are some in the valley bottom there will be bucks. Same with the high country.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I've hunted 8-13 a lot for a number of years, unsuccessfully for deer I might add. Not that I haven't encountered any, just not ever legal or a clear kill shot. I think in 8-14 you have more options elevation wise as the Kettle River pretty well defines that MU. 8-13 is mostly high elevation. I've seen tracks up there in the snow in November but I think once the snow flies the Whiteys & even Muleys start heading lower. Every year is a bit different as to when the big snow & freeze hits & stays. As a rule of thumb, this far into November you should have better luck finding the critters at lower elevation. Pretty well every time I drive through Lumby up to the Monashee Pass, I see deer on private land down low near Cherryville & the odd one just off the highway farther up near Hydro lines. I should probably learn from my experiences in that regard & hunt down lower, doh.

Here's a screen capture of an 8-13 hunt in September 2016 where I bumped a couple WT does a short distance after getting out of the truck. The altitude would be around 1600 meters & it was long before any snow flew. I hiked up quite a ways as you can see & didn't see any more. The red lines are the boundary of MU 8-13.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-08-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Hey guys,
    Thank you
    You can be successful hunting Mule Deer from a truck (got a spike buck 1st morning out) but not White Tail. I was with an experienced hunter in Oct who thought he could hunt White Tail the same way I got my Mule Deer. He was wrong. Way too skittish. Gotta get out and either walk slowly or just stay put near a nice clearing, glass and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    You can be successful hunting Mule Deer from a truck (got a spike buck 1st morning out) but not White Tail. I was with an experienced hunter in Oct who thought he could hunt White Tail the same way I got my Mule Deer. He was wrong. Way too skittish. Gotta get out and either walk slowly or just stay put near a nice clearing, glass and wait.
    Hey Rick,

I’m sorry to hear you weren’t successful with whitetail. I hunted the same area with that experienced hunter in October and we harvested two WT does, and harvested a 3pt WT buck this morning. I agree that walking or glassing are good methods though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC6F8E7A-4234-4BD9-839C-B65380888674.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	8554  

Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Are you saying you can’t road hunt white tails in a specific area or in general? Because Ive shot a few nice bucks while travelling between spots.

hunt that private land! scout it real well, set up on hot sign, WIND IS EVERYTHING. the next few weeks will be awesome.