Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rigging for Backcountry Jet Boat

Rigging for Backcountry Jet Boat

"Tis too late for this year but I've just taken possession of a 17'6" jet sled powered by a 115/80 HP Mercury outboard and I want to equip it and/or work on it over the winter so I ready for next year... So I'm looking for input and advice from experienced "backcountry" jet boats on what are the essential equipment, tools, or parts that need to be onboard if you are 150 km upriver (or down)... Your thoughts?

Best regards

Capt. Hook (aka Mike Sawyer)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rigging for Backcountry Jet Boat

Fuel, come-a-long or gas powered winch and long lines, inreach, enough gear to overnight if it becomes necessary.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Always pack as light as possible. In saying that I have a plastic bin with a new starter, fuel pump, belt, main relay, fuses, fuel filter, electrical tape and tools pertinent to my motor. Also carry a lithium jump start pack, long rope, custom aluminum paddle/push pole, axe, sometimes chainsaw, fire starter, ass wipe and paper towel. Go through and understand every part of your boat so when shit goes wrong, you know where to look. And always keep your impeller/sleeve tuned as that’s one of the biggest factors in keeping you out of trouble.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I reiterate the cut weight mercilessly advice, aside from critical spares. Pack like a sheep hunt, with extra fuel. Also, a successful jet boat pilot has a bit too much aggression for polite interaction. Don’t get stupid, but god hates a coward. You will dent your boat and bang your motor.

Dump the mercy and get a Yamaha. Haha, that’s just my opinion from my experiences! The new made in Japan mercs aren’t too bad, just loud.

Seriously tho,
    does it have a bilge pump?
    is it a tiller?

i always have lots of rope, a chainsaw, come along, axe, a spare impeller sleeve and bottom foot (hit a Rock once) all the tWrenches needed to change it, spare fuel line and some brass barbs n hose clamps to fix a line. Baby wipes too, ripped a big hole in the hull one time and stuffed it with baby wipes, ran it for the rest of the season and welded up back up in the winter
    Waders are good too and a 6or8’ 2x4 for a pry bar

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Maasdam rope puller... basically an endless come-a-long (look it up). I've started carrying one in my snow machine too. Echo the lithium jumpstart pack, but make sure its got a fresh charge before every trip. If it sits in your boat box all season you might be in for a rude surprise late in the year if you need it.

Have a pre-trip check list!

Don't Let "Captain Morgan" Drive.....

Drillbit... I would have gone with a Yamaha but with the Covid supply chain/manufacturing crunch my only option was the Merc, and that was hard to find... And yes, it has two bilge pumps and no, it does not have a tiller. Center console with steering wheel ect.

Understood. I owned and operated a whitewater rafting business for over a decade so I'm reasonably skilled at reading moving water but still, I cringe at the thought of my first wreck, major or minor... I'm going to ease into operating this new boat...

Great advice on the Maasdam rope puller... I was going to get a reefer but was shocked to see the price of those now-a-days...