Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bicycle hunting

bicycle hunting

Just wondering if anybody has hunted using a mountain bike. With the aid of a deer call I have come very close to does and bucks.Also have had does chase me. Just wondering if other people have rode a bicycle while hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bicycle hunting

I remember a story in Outdoor Life years ago of an old bearded hippy guy that used his bicycle to hunt with and man did he ever get some monster muleys. It's been so long that i don't remember anything about what was said in the article but i do remember his bike was one of the dinosaur ones with the little basket on the front of his handle bars and the little ding ding thumb bell.
    If you can sue MacDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?

I understand that extreme mountains,snow,etc can limit the bicycles use.I have a two wheeled trailer that I carry about forty pounds in for training.Early season bow I will use but am concerned about sweat odours.

Yep, I do.

Not me, too tell you the truth in never even crossed my mind to use a mountain bike to hunt with. Good idea.
    When the Benelli speaks, death follows......

Cool Re: bicycle hunting

I use the mountain bike every year for hunting ,hunters laughed at me years back when I was riding on top of my buck peddling the bike back to the closed logging road gate ,wish I had taken pic of this back then LOL.

I use one for elk hunting every years as well ,last year I had to send my bike back with my hunting partner because we had no room to take it back to the island ,man it would have came in handy to get the elk meat out last year in the road closure.

Maybe this year if I get an elk down I will take some pic of portions of the elk on the back of the mountain bike.

Have used a bike to hunt on forest roads and found deer tended to stand and look when they see you, rather than run when you are seen on foot.
    I say try it.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    not personally but i know of 2 other guys who do so. they get a great workout and can cover a lot of ground in a very stealthy manner. they have a good collection of racks in the shed for proof.
    Never used a mountain bike but I know of a friend who uses a bike quite regularly and tells me that he can ride right up to his treestand without spooking any deer. I believe him because he has a wall full of mounted bucks to prove it.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I use the mountain bike every year for hunting ,hunters laughed at me years back when I was riding on top of my buck peddling the bike back to the closed logging road gate ,wish I had taken pic of this back then LOL.

I use one for elk hunting every years as well ,last year I had to send my bike back with my hunting partner because we had no room to take it back to the island ,man it would have came in handy to get the elk meat out last year in the road closure.

Maybe this year if I get an elk down I will take some pic of portions of the elk on the back of the mountain bike.
    Please do! I tell ya if gas gets to 150 again I will be biking it. I used to have alittle tow behind wagon when I was a kid doing my paper route. I will set it up again and put some dogs on it
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

I will have to try it, as I should be getting a new bike soon! Maybe those whitetails won't spook as easily as they did last year.