Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another short knife review

Another short knife review

I said in the other thread that I haven’t had any sort of knife obsession in my life and basically used the same Gerber Gatormate folding knife for 20+ years. Starting last year, I’ve bought a few different ones to try.
    Yesterday I used a Grohman #1 Belt knife to deal with a Mule deer buck. Not a full deboning in the field because I didn’t have to pack him too far so I left the bone in the quarters.
    This knife actually amazed me for how natural and ergonomic it is to work with. It felt like I’d been using it for years. In this situation I use the knife to take the legs off at the joints, head off at base of skull, neck meat off in two slabs, rib meat slab on each side(no bone), backstraps out. After taking all the meat off, I will partially gut, just to make room for getting the tenderloins out through the back and get the heart and liver. Even taking the tenderloins out through the back didn’t feel awkward using the knife. Very secure, comfortable and nimble to use. I guess the best word would be versatile. I feel like I could have caped with it.
    I can see why there is a long history in Canada with this design.

So far this is my favorite out of the Gerber Gatormate, Benchmade Altitude and L.T. Wright Small Northern Hunter.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 11-05-2021 at 10:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another short knife review

They’re kind of odd looking so I haven’t tried the number one, but Ive purchased a bunch of different grohmans as gifts for everybody around me. They’re mini skinner fits perfect in my hand and I use the deer and moose for myself.

The deer and moose knife is the last knife still holding an edge after gutting and quartering a moose. I tend to put it down during skinning and pick up a different knife just to make a few cuts and then go back to the deer and moose knife.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Good review. You should bang these up on YouTube. I’ve seen knife reviews there twice as long and half as good. Always think there is an audience for authentic real world experience

And they’re made in Canada.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

My first hunting knife was the Russell Belt knife. It was the big one with the leather wrist thong.
    That leather thong has been a staple with other knives as it allows you to drop the knife, it is out of your way and a quick bend at the wrist to get it back in your hand.
    Gave that one to my son when I bought a Kershaw Deer Hunter (?) and also have a Buck El Cajon.
    Have always preferred a drop point.
    Gutted a deer once with a Swiss Army Knife . . . there is probably still blood in that knife from 20-25 years ago.

Tough to beat the Grohman/Russell knives at their pricepoint .

Great review.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I like the ergos of the Grohmann #1 a lot but mine doesn't hold an edge as well as my other knives. They make them in two different steels. Mine is stainless. Maybe the carbon steel blades are better?

I have had my issue #3 since 1986 and it is still going strong. Perfect for what they were designed for.

I am really loving my skinning knife from Blacktail designs...Roy is a fellow hunter and posts on this site sometimes