Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire Chains for Toyota

Re: Tire Chains for Toyota

I buy them at garage sales and swap meets whenever I see them. Usually under $50/set.

I ran vbars on my 89 xtra cab pickup. Between those and a lockright, it was an effective little truck, even with the garbage BFG mall terrains. I got a set of 31" swampers, hiked off a mountain in 8" of snow...and learned that they didn't fit over the side lugs on the swampers.

Tires were the "same size" from the sidewall, but not in real life. So, test fit!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Never used chains on my pickup but drove gravel truck for many years and I agree that no bungee cords should be needed but chains do stretch and if you don't have chain pliers or know how to use them you best carry some bungee cords until you can get them resized. Loose chains or extra long tail ends will tear brake lines up in the blink of and eye.
    Also keep your speed down as they will chew your tires up in a hurry if your racing up and down the road. We kept speeds to less than 40 kph when chained up.
    If you find yourself spun out and your stopped, not sliding, on a hill lay the chains on your tire and roll backwards onto them, then hook them up.
    Also drive a short distance and get out and check the tightness of them, you may find you'll need tighten them up.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by oddsix View Post
    Vbar with cam locks. I picked up a set (2 chains) from Wesco in Port Kells, $125 after tax.
    ^^this here^^
    Bought a few sets for different tire sizes over the yrs from here.

I have Peerless AutoTrac. Got them from Can Tire, about $60 IIRC, but that was a few years ago. They have a ratcheting tensioner on them that's pretty slick. About the easiest to install I've ever had.

https://peerlesschain.com/passenger-...hain/auto-trac

Oh and I have a set of alloy rims that came off a 1991 Toyota Hilux Surf that I sold. Basically a 4Runner but imported from Japan. Had a diesel & steering wheel on right side. I can make you a real good deal on them. Need them out of my carport storage area. I can get more details on size & stud pattern if you're interested.

Here's a photo before I sold it. Still have the rims & possibly even the chains. They're not the fancy Peerless chains though.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-10-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Web site giving me grief, can't post photo of Hilux in previous post, so here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scance View Post
    Am curious if you guys find a difference using the v bar chains as opposed to non v bar chains in the wet snow on Vancouver Island when up the mountains, I have tried both and found that I just dug deeper holes quicker with the v bar and got stuck more often, but was the opposite effect when I was in the interior of BC.. just a perspective any else have that experience
    There's only so much you can do when trying to drive through cement... But V bar chains front and back will do the trick. Front is preferred if you only have one set. If you have a truck like an F150 with poor clearance on the front, try cable chains on the front and v-bar chains on the rear. Lordco sells some good quality cable chains for front (ie better than canadian tire crap...). But don't try to go far with just cable chains or you'll get yourself into trouble lol.

TJ