Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coquihalla/Merritt

Coquihalla/Merritt

Thought my season was done but as luck would have it I got the day off tomorrow. I wanted to explore some new (to me) area, so was thinking about trying around Kingsvale/Fig Lake/Brookmere for some small game (grouse, snowshoe hare, maybe even jump shoot some ducks?).

I’ve been combing through forums during breaks today and not finding much. Basically just wanted to ask if there’s any small game around that zone or if I’m on the totally wrong track. Regardless it will be a good day exploring.

I’m going to leave the deer gun at home, I’ve had a fortunate year and the freezer is full so would be nice to try something new with small game.

Thanks in advance. I’ll keep looking through old forums posts and if I see some good info I’ll delete this one.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Coquihalla/Merritt

I would check out this map, as lots of that area is closed to motor vehicle access due to the fires:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...y_mountain.pdf

I was up there recently and the fires have done a number on that area. I've been there before the fires and there was no sign of small game that I saw. I think it might be too much elevation?

This year fires have blazed through Brookmere area.
    I'd stay home and learn something new.
    For example how to cure meat with salt.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Pretty much everywhere you listed is closed, or the access point to the area is closed so.. I’d enjoy the day off and stay home or hunt locally. Go shoot a black tail that’s something for you to learn… for the next decade lol

I would really check for closures. I received a letter on Friday from Ministry of Land and Forests reminding me of closed areas in Reg 3 and 8 regarding my LEH draw for November 1. I was told and read somewhere that the fire restrictions for my area were lifted as of October 15 but this letter states otherwise. Nice of the Ministry to send out a letter to be received 3 days prior to the hunt.
    Last edited by sames14; 11-02-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WetLeopard View Post
    Thought my season was done but as luck would have it I got the day off tomorrow. I wanted to explore some new (to me) area, so was thinking about trying around Kingsvale/Fig Lake/Brookmere for some small game (grouse, snowshoe hare, maybe even jump shoot some ducks?).

I’ve been combing through forums during breaks today and not finding much. Basically just wanted to ask if there’s any small game around that zone or if I’m on the totally wrong track. Regardless it will be a good day exploring.

I’m going to leave the deer gun at home, I’ve had a fortunate year and the freezer is full so would be nice to try something new with small game.

Thanks in advance. I’ll keep looking through old forums posts and if I see some good info I’ll delete this one.
    Adding to what the others have written re: access closures - there was a foot of snow on the ground last weekend when I was up top the Coquihalla in areas adjacent to the ones you’ve mentioned. Rabbits clearly are active, but the ducks would be ice cubes and grouse were not around.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Really appreciate the quick responses from everyone. In my head I had thought all of the fire closures had ended Oct. 15, so obviously will need to remember to double check next time.

Sames14, that’s unfortunate to hear. Do you have the moose or mule deer draw?

i’ll take have another look at iHunter and see if I can find a different area at lower elevation. Will report back if there’s any interesting findings.

Thanks again for the info everybody.

Suggest you try a bit further South, closer to the Tulameen area, maybe access via Princeton.
    Not as affected by the fires, I left there 3 days ago, no snow at lower levels, saw lots of grouse, not many bunnies.

Brookemere Rd is open, been on it a couple times recently,

just don’t go anywhere north of the road.

Also, head to Boston Bar, take the Uztlius Creek FSR to the right just before town.

You can find your way over to the Coldwater turn off on the Coq.

Once you get on top, lots of Bunnies!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Looks like the Coq and anything mid to high elevation could be a mess over the next week or two, potentially 50-100cm snow in the next few days.

I'm worried about getting shut down from mid elevation Reg 2 areas. Either going to be a lot of snow or a mix of snow, rain, flooding and washouts.

Hoping for the best but mentally preparing for getting shut down out of my spots and having to scout around other areas.

If you hit the Coq or head up Boston Bar, be prepared with chains and such. Set the alarm a few times and check for now throughout the night. I was up Boston bar a few weeks ago, checked the mtn forecast on the inreach and it seemed like possible light dusting. I was way up a goat trail sketchy to drive up high and dry, fell asleep a few hours and woke up to 6 inches. Driving down the next day, every tight cliff edge switch back had a come to jesus moment. Tough to see where the road even was. Everything looked like ski slopes.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-02-2021 at 08:40 PM.