Thread: Sunshine Coast elk draw 2-05, zone A

Sunshine Coast elk draw 2-05, zone A

Good afternoon everybody. I was lucky enough to get myself an elk tag for the Sunshine Coast (my home) this year in 2-05 zone A. This is my first time ever hunting elk and I consider myself a fairly new hunter to begin with as it is. I have seen a herd by the Malaspina substation twice in the last week but have not seen a nice bull with them. They do have a tiny spike with them though. I've read through the past threads here on this subject, have sent an email to Darryl the wildlife biologist, and had a good conversation with a Conservation Officer. I have two weeks off work to make this hunt a success. I'm trying to make sure I soak up as much info as I can so I figured I would join this site and ask the question. Does anyone have any tips or pointers they would be willing to share with me? Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated as I realize this could be the only time in my life I get this chance and I really wanna fill this tag. Thank you all in advance. Rocky

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sunshine Coast elk draw 2-05, zone A

Lots will disagree with me but i would say do not be too picky.If you get a chance at any decent bull take it. People think getting a rosie draw guarrantees you a monster bull, it does not. Good luck.

I agree with Quadra kid. We had a moose draw in another area. Passed on one on the first day and had to make two more trips. Needed up shooting a smaller one than the original one I passed on.

if you see it. Drop it

The flip side to Quadra's idea... is you have a golden ticket. Really think about it before you shoot. You may never have the chance at it again.
    in my mind, not necessarily yours but mine... Some draws really are "Trophy hunts" Rosie is the epitome of that... if you go out there and on day 1 you shoot a 5x5 its over. Moose hunts are meat hunts to me...

I have hunted Island Rosie a few times. ( might also be why i would only shoot a big bull ) but what i have learned is.... The later in the season, it gets easier. The weather brings them down. You arent getting to hunt the rut really thats too early for most draws. So that for the most part leaves you post Rut... = Big bulls resting up from the rut to try to get ready for the winter. They wont always be with a heard. The later season allows you to get them when they are forced to move.

Regardless, You have a great draw.. good luck to you and shoot whats right for you! Even if its that spike!
    just hunt the tag harder than anything else, and i mean that for your own good! you may hate yerself later!

Have a listen to the Eat Wild Podcast, episode 14 (and then all the rest of them).

nh3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

Agree with both Quadra and 835. Tough decision.

It is a golden ticket tag.

Good luck! Post pics.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

If its me, and I win a once in a lifetime draw, Im taking the entire time off for the draw and Im going to be picky. That being said, Im willing to put in the time and Im happy to get NIL if thats what fate has, but at least I can say I gave it my all

The Rosie draws generally speaking are after the rutt so your not calling them in, your just covering ground, learning what areas hold animals and putting time in. You don't have to be an expert Elk hunter (I could be wrong). Its different than hunting elk in the rutt and learning how to call, I don't believe that is as big a piece of the puzzle with Rosies.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    If its me, and I win a once in a lifetime draw, Im taking the entire time off for the draw and Im going to be picky. That being said, Im willing to put in the time and Im happy to get NIL if thats what fate has, but at least I can say I gave it my all

That is the same as me...
    Give it all you can and be pickey untill your driving out.

But ya, your tag your enjoyment!

My brother had this same tag this year. He took a solid 8x6 from the very area you mentioned about a week and a half ago. We did see other bulls in the area, including a really big 5x5.

We were seeing all our elk at first and last light until we found the bull he killed, which was shot around 9 am.

If you put in time around the power station you should find success.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir