Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with Hounds

Hunting with Hounds

Was out camping at Grace Lake in Harrison this weekend and heard the unmistakable sound of hounds Saturday morning. Within a few minutes there was 2 radio collared hounds chasing our dogs around the camper. My dog was so terrified she wouldn't get out of the truck for hours. I hollered down the hill to whoever was running these dogs to call them off and get them the eff away from us. Some chubby doofus appeared and told me to calm down and stop being so "ignorant". You sir make all hunters look bad. Why the hell did you think letting hounds go in a busy campground was a good idea? Nobody cares that your dog picked up a good scent and no we didn't leave garbage out which you accused us of. In hindsight I should have kept a few of your dogs seeing as you're not smart enough to handle them properly... next time I will.
    I know there aren't that many local hound hunters so hopefully this message reaches this moron.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting with Hounds

Should’ve said “the only trash around here is you”

Jeez. I hope the tool is on here and has the brain cells to put 2+2 together on why their actions are harmful to houndsmanship and hunting in general.
    That’s a popular place for off-road enthusiasts, not all of whom partake in hunting, and would just as soon see us hunters barred from the bush.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

did he say he was hunting them, or they got lose?

He was definitely hunting and claimed a bear had passed through the campsite the previous night

I had an incident similar to yours in jasper a few years ago, except I was on the other end. My dog is a golden retriever with an anxiety problem when he travels. We were camping at one of the main campsites in jasper and because of the bear problems they make you pack up any coolers and bbqs every time you leave or at night. So just in the inside of my trailer door was piled up with some stuff so I opened the door and tried to step over my bbq to get out and the dog bolted for the Athabasca river. A completely harmless dog ran by one persons campsite and his wife with little dog freaked out and started screaming and then the guy started being a Dick and yelling at me to get my dog under control which turned out into a worse situation for both of us because I ended up challenging him to a fight for being so ignorant.

Im not saying this is the same case, but sometimes one persons actions brings out the worst in another.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Eeeesh, yuck, 12 hr dry, bear track, thatd be one shitty chase.
    My hounds did not like little dogs, at all.
    Hounds are not aggressive towards people.
    Next time grab them and tie them to your bumper or a tree.
    The owner will find them.

He likely let them go elsewhere, we’re they out all night?
    Good idea to take someone’s dogs. Lol

Most guys I know that run hounds, would likely help you pick up your teeth and put them in a paper bag, so you don’t lose them again.

Don’t steal someone’s dogs, for sure.

Well shit happens... and your attitudesounds like it will get you in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Slayer View Post
    He was definitely hunting and claimed a bear had passed through the campsite the previous night

Digger, I think you misunderstand what occurred here. This moron released his dog's on the busiest fsr in the lower mainland directly into a busy campsite that was full of campers and people tearing around on quads and side by sides. They were not on some epic all night hunt. This makes ALL hunters look bad. Just imagine if those hounds shredded a seniors lap dog? Legal? Sure. Smart? Not even close.

Suggesting physical violence towards me shows you're roughly the same IQ as the bozo with the hounds.

Its a fair comment.
    But, it can be hard to control hounds i suppose if they are on a sent, and we know bears like campgrounds.
    At the same point, this fellow should have considered that probably before releasing the dogs.

As for houndsmen, just got a pm that someone came across a fresh MD kill (still warm) by a cougar who was in the process of burying it.
    Around Kammy.
    Cats are still busy it seems up that way.

Slug Slayer, you are a more patient man than I would've been in that situation...shit happens, but the way that guy dealt with it wouldn't have gone over well with me...i've encountered hounds while I was grouse hunting and they didn't break off the trail to chase my dogs, these dogs don't sound like finished dogs, dumb idea to let them run in a busy campground
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster