Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Re: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    3 point if I knew I could have a solid chance at the 4 point the next year ... he could be a record book buck!

That said I've had plenty of bucks on camera that just cruise by a few times during the rut and never show up again, sadly.
    Definitely. Some of the biggest BT's I have had on camera only cruised by once, never to be seen again. You never know with bucks cruising. They could be 15km away in a matter of hours, up some other mountain on the other side of the valley. That could be the case with the 4pt. I would have to go through all the videos again, but I THINK I have only seen him once or twice at the most. I actually mistook him for the 3x3.

So far the big fork, little fork and 3x3 "seem" to be more "resident", but they can still disappear for a week and not hit any cams, then suddenly they are back. I don't think those 3 go a long way, but who knows, maybe they do. Figuring out place(s) they go when they are not where I expect them to be is something I am working on. I have some ideas and places to check out. Even 2km in any given direction, there are more stones still unturned than not. It's amazing how long it can take to learn a relatively small area. Oh, just a mountain or too, many thousands of trees, drainages, benches, ridges and such.

There is definitely a luck factor to it as you mention. Knowledge helps stuck the odds a little, you do have to be at the right place at the right time. One or more of those bucks could disappear for weeks or months, but at the same time who knows, bucks from other pockets cruising long distances could and probably will show up in this pocket.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-02-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Definitely. Some of the biggest BT's I have had on camera only cruised by once, never to be seen again. You never know with bucks cruising. They could be 15km away in a matter of hours, up some other mountain on the other side of the valley. That could be the case with the 4pt. I would have to go through all the videos again, but I THINK I have only seen him once or twice at the most. I actually mistook him for the 3x3.

So far the big fork, little fork and 3x3 "seem" to be more "resident", but they can still disappear for a week and not hit any cams, then suddenly they are back. I don't think those 3 go a long way, but who knows, maybe they do. Figuring out place(s) they go when they are not where I expect them to be is something I am working on. I have some ideas and places to check out. Even 2km in any given direction, there are more stones still unturned than not. It's amazing how long it can take to learn a relatively small area. Oh, just a mountain or too, many thousands of trees, drainages, benches, ridges and such.

There is definitely a luck factor to it as you mention. Knowledge helps stuck the odds a little, you do have to be at the right place at the right time. One or more of those bucks could disappear for weeks or months, but at the same time who knows, bucks from other pockets cruising long distances could and probably will show up in this pocket.
    Yes, as with anything - consistency is key. You gotta be out there enough for you to eventually be there at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    Holy cow that Forky is a monster! Go get him Tiger. I would have to agree he's my fav, but the other bucks have huge fat bodies on them which is what really tickles my fancy.

Haven't been to any blacktail spots since beginning of Sept because like you, they seem to vanish (usually) at the beginning of September, and like you, I noticed they seemed to leave at the end of August this year too. And just like you, I have another spot where they show up again in the first 2 weeks of November for the rut and am going to definitely make an effort to chase one down this or next weekend.

Thanks for the update and the great video Caddis. Good luck. Keep at it - the stars will align one of these days. Hardest north american big game critter to hunt imo - that's why they're so addictive
    I think that forky is an old beast going backwards. I think his body mass is about the same as the 3x3 but he has more flab thab muscle. I think the 3x3 and 4x4 are much younger but the 3x3 wins the meat (muscle) score. One can only imagine what the latter two will be in their prime.

Out the window goes the notion "two points means they are young and if hunters will stop shooting forks we'll have more big 4pts" lol ... pretty sure that fork is a senior citizen old and wise enough that he'll die of old age spreading those 2pt genes

Thank you and good luck to you as well! Addictive indeed. There really isn't any activity I enjoy more in life than hiking around in old growth timber. If the weather doesn't block my access and I get one more weekend in that pocket, blacktail success or not, I'm a happy camper.

IF I do get blocked, it will only force me to poke around the timber lower down in a different mountain or valley and who knows what that can turn into. Worst case good excercise and scenery, best case another pocket to learn. For every crisis comes great opportunity

One benefit of getting older is the years of experience. I still consider myself a greenhorn, but I have reached that stage where I can eyeball a mountain, consider the potential, hike around and know for certain whether it's a waste of time or it's a viable BT pocket. I am thankful for the lessons many years of failure taught me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    And if they all lined up side by side, the 3x3 would be my take home I think.

Great video!
    Thank you! Where does the water taxi depart from and what time? Not looking for GPS coordinates to your spot, just want to know the exact island and hope it's a small one with a lot of BT's!! Kidding of course.

When I was a youngin, like 9 years old, we used to have property on Savery Island, south side... back when the Island was virtually uninhabited, just a few full time residents and some summer vacation properties, not many tourists. I had a little tree fort that I slept in. One night I woke up to take a whizz. Stepped down on the ladder to whip it out. There were 20+ deer, half big rack bucks staring at me. I got shy bladder LOL. There was enough deer there it wasn't uncommon to find dead ones that fell off cliffs. Not sure what it's like now. Sounds like the place is a zoo and I don't think hunting (at least with firearms?) is allowed... could be wrong.

Random story. Ya'lls welcome.

Good luck wherever you are going! Those Sitkas or Columbian BT's? Can I come if snow and flooding blocks me? j/k

Good luck to you sir and looking forward to the trip report!
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-03-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Thank you! Where does the water taxi depart from and what time? Not looking for GPS coordinates to your spot, just want to know the exact island and hope it's a small one with a lot of BT's!! Kidding of course.

When I was a youngin, like 9 years old, we used to have property on Savery Island, south side... back when the Island was virtually uninhabited, just a few full time residents and some summer vacation properties, not many tourists. I had a little tree fort that I slept in. One night I woke up to take a whizz. Stepped down on the ladder to whip it out. There were 20+ deer, half big rack bucks staring at me. I got shy bladder LOL. There was enough deer there it wasn't uncommon to find dead ones that fell off cliffs. Not sure what it's like now. Sounds like the place is a zoo and I don't think hunting (at least with firearms?) is allowed... could be wrong.

Random story. Ya'lls welcome.

Good luck wherever you are going! Those Sitkas or Columbian BT's? Can I come if snow and flooding blocks me? j/k

Good luck to you sir and looking forward to the trip report!
    Honestly, we’d love to have you along, but the forecast for where we go is for 90 km/h winds and somewhere between 150-300 mm rain. The wives have suggested maybe we should skip it this year, and go somewhere less committing. I have used up 98% of this year’s “man, you are pissing me off, but I still somehow love you” credits with her, so we are going to go inland and visit our WT spot instead. There are also a lot of muley, elk and moose there, but elk just closed on the 20th, so they will get a pass.

Slavary Island is probably a bad choice to hunt. Too many citiots there now. I’d buy some chains so you can get in to your spot. It looks damn good to me!

Good luck out there!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I think that forky is an old beast going backwards. I think his body mass is about the same as the 3x3 but he has more flab thab muscle. I think the 3x3 and 4x4 are much younger but the 3x3 wins the meat (muscle) score. One can only imagine what the latter two will be in their prime.

Out the window goes the notion "two points means they are young and if hunters will stop shooting forks we'll have more big 4pts" lol ... pretty sure that fork is a senior citizen old and wise enough that he'll die of old age spreading those 2pt genes

Thank you and good luck to you as well! Addictive indeed. There really isn't any activity I enjoy more in life than hiking around in old growth timber. If the weather doesn't block my access and I get one more weekend in that pocket, blacktail success or not, I'm a happy camper.

IF I do get blocked, it will only force me to poke around the timber lower down in a different mountain or valley and who knows what that can turn into. Worst case good excercise and scenery, best case another pocket to learn. For every crisis comes great opportunity

One benefit of getting older is the years of experience. I still consider myself a greenhorn, but I have reached that stage where I can eyeball a mountain, consider the potential, hike around and know for certain whether it's a waste of time or it's a viable BT pocket. I am thankful for the lessons many years of failure taught me.
    If you get blocked, too far to snow shoe in? Last year, I hiked 14kms in snow shoes to get to a spot for lynx. Long day for sure...one day i will get an ATV and tracks for snow. one day

Awesome Caddisguy! Good advice and great attitude! Happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    If you get blocked, too far to snow shoe in? Last year, I hiked 14kms in snow shoes to get to a spot for lynx. Long day for sure...one day i will get an ATV and tracks for snow. one day

That is one heck of a hike! That would be one well deserved lynx right there.

In my case it would depend how far I can get (or rather where I am blocked) but possible it would be be a day hike each way.

I just have to hope for the best and be ready to alter plans if needed. Also if I get in, I need to keep a close eye on conditions, possibly wake up every hour to check or I could trapped in there. I have almost got myself in trouble a few times--most recently 3 weeks ago---sleeping more than a few hours at a time

Arrow Re: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Great little video Caddis.
    Quite Inspiring!

Getting into it soon myself over here on The Rock.

Best of Luck in The Pursuit!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Great little video Caddis.
    Quite Inspiring!

Getting into it soon myself over here on The Rock.

Best of Luck in The Pursuit!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Thank you Nog! I am glad it added some inspiration here.

It's a magical time of year. Hopefully we will start seeing some BT success threads.

Good luck to you and all HBC members pursuing this unique and challenging hunt that is exclusive to only a coastal sliver of the continent.