Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Re: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Out for BTs this afternoon. Saw a group of three does today, a studly thinking Spiker was keeping them busy pushing them around nose to butt. Round and round up and down. Always fun to see.

The big boy didn't show, and the does gave the Spiker no rewards. They're still busy.
    Man you might be the guy to close this one out. Heading out again? I can't access any turf I'm familiar with and too spent for adventure. You heading out again?

I’m going this weekend. Will be wet, hopefully they are moving a bit and not just bedding down with the weather. Last chance!

I did go out last weekend, albeit pretty late in the day. Saw two nice BT does but no bucks. Lots of snow in the higher elevations. May get out this weekend as well for one last hurrah! If not, back up plan is to hammer a limit of ducks

What elevation are people finding black tailed deer at this time of year? Just wondering if they move down with the snow or not? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    What elevation are people finding black tailed deer at this time of year? Just wondering if they move down with the snow or not? Thanks
    The does I saw where at the snow line, once i got up higher there was no sign at all...could just be that area though

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    all over. Elevation has very little to do with it as far as where you will hunt them during the season. Yes, some of them drop down when the snow piles up, but they are still found from the bottom of the valleys to well above the tree line. That is to say, don't focus too much on elevation - just look for good sign wherever that might be. (From what i gather talking to people and exchanging trail camera pictures - they migrate more for the rut than they do to avoid snow)

i asked this same question to more accomplished blacktail hunters, and that is the answer i received. And they were right.

This year i found an old shed (25+ years) at about 4600ft! I couldn't believe it. Must have been an extra mild winter

pg66 just posted up a BT hunting update that is inspiring and has some good bits of info. I like the way he frames stuff. I'd heard the "whoever moves first in the timber loses", but this "Imagine you know a buck is there 40 yards away and you just can't seem him. how would you move then?" is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8rEgSC1XU

Well, it's the last weekend. To those heading out, be safe and good luck. Looking forward to hearing about your trips and maybe some success stories
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-10-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks to everybody for all the great information. When this thread was first posted beginning of November, I agree things were definitely heating up in the black tail woods. Sign everywhere; rubs, tracks, and actual deer sightings. Now with what I would consider post rut, seems to be the most difficult part of the entire season to even find a doe much less a buck.

I'm not a pro by any means, but have had reasonable success filling tags in September, October, and November over the years, but for some reason have an extremely difficult time connecting in December. Having said that I will still give it my best shot, just going to get out there and keep grinding. Good luck to all for these last 5 days chasing the elusive black tailed buck in region 2. Be safe everyone.....

Had some late season success after a tough, cold, and very wet couple of days. Ended up dropping this guy as he was tending a handful of does (3x3). Road was washed out so it was a very long hike back to the truck.
    Good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrcc View Post
    Had some late season success after a tough, cold, and very wet couple of days. Ended up dropping this guy as he was tending a handful of does (3x3). Road was washed out so it was a very long hike back to the truck.
    Good luck all.

Way to go! That's some dedication right there and just goes to show the action just keeps going all the way through December.

These pockets of BT's, they do shift around.

To last light, I think if the deer become scarce in spots that are good Sep-Nov, they shifted, maybe same valley, maybe even same mountain, but they're still around. For years I made the mistake of hunting deer where they were vs where they are. For the pocket I've been on these last couple years, I'm still trying to figure out a mid Sep to mid Oct shift. When they're not there, just means they are somewhere else. Gotta take the opportunity to expore and expand your hunting turf.

ccrcc congrats again, that's a lovely 3pt. I bet you'll be feeling the packout a little haha. Worth it though right? Thanks for posting it up here.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-10-2021 at 10:18 PM.