Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Re: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

That'll be one to remember for years to come hey Caddis? That helicopter circling was like out of a movie damn! Glad you all made it out safe. Wonder if this experience is going to prompt you to add more survival stuff in your jeep?

Great Post and a huge way to go to all.

Glad your safe.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    That'll be one to remember for years to come hey Caddis? That helicopter circling was like out of a movie damn! Glad you all made it out safe. Wonder if this experience is going to prompt you to add more survival stuff in your jeep?
    Yes, upgrades are due. Quickly realized gear like little folding shovels and backpacking hatchets aren't a substitute for full sized shovels, axes and such.

Will always take a proper shovel and axe from now on, not packpack or under the seat size stuff, and rig some extra fuel storage. caddisgirl has already packed a long term food kit. Lots of Spam, Stag, Sardines and such.

The main thing though I'll be packing more of is common sense. I always knew I might get stuck back there one day. When I left on Thursday, forecast called for 40mm during the day on Thursday and Friday - Sunday was 10-15mm each day. Figured yikes, 40mm is bad, but we'll just keep an eye on it. Thursday came and went with little rain.

Friday night it dumped hard and I got concerned. Then a couple rolled up to our camp. I ask them if there was any flooding. Nope. All is good!

I think 100-300mm came down in a couple hours Saturday night / Sunday morning. My brother left a pot out that was around 10cm high. I see it and think crap, how long has that been overflowing for? I knew at that point we're probably not getting out.

Sooo yeah, I should have left Saturday morning when that couple told us the road was fine, or even before.

The objective is to not to need recovery gear or help to begin with. Becoming more self critical here, that's for sure. I'll leave it at that.

Anyone have recommendations on shovels for helping someone in a similar jam?

A good sturdy round nosed shovel and a maddox, polansky or whatever u want to call it below.
    I finally started carrying one all the time its come in handy a few times including last Tuesday. Great for sloping vertical cuts from washouts or loosening up what the shovel can't

its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    A good sturdy round nosed shovel and a maddox, polansky or whatever u want to call it below.
    I finally started carrying one all the time its come in handy a few times including last Tuesday. Great for sloping vertical cuts from washouts or loosening up what the shovel can't

I second the maddox. It came in handy when I was in Indian Arm during the first atmospheric river this year to trench around my wall tent to slow the water ingress.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperYeti View Post
    I second the maddox. It came in handy when I was in Indian Arm during the first atmospheric river this year to trench around my wall tent to slow the water ingress.
    X3 ... shovel doesn't help when it's mostly rock and you need to carve out a road in it. This helps
    Dislodge that stuff way better than a shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Yes, upgrades are due. Quickly realized gear like little folding shovels and backpacking hatchets aren't a substitute for full sized shovels, axes and such.

Will always take a proper shovel and axe from now on, not packpack or under the seat size stuff, and rig some extra fuel storage. caddisgirl has already packed a long term food kit. Lots of Spam, Stag, Sardines and such.

The main thing though I'll be packing more of is common sense. I always knew I might get stuck back there one day. When I left on Thursday, forecast called for 40mm during the day on Thursday and Friday - Sunday was 10-15mm each day. Figured yikes, 40mm is bad, but we'll just keep an eye on it. Thursday came and went with little rain.

Friday night it dumped hard and I got concerned. Then a couple rolled up to our camp. I ask them if there was any flooding. Nope. All is good!

I think 100-300mm came down in a couple hours Saturday night / Sunday morning. My brother left a pot out that was around 10cm high. I see it and think crap, how long has that been overflowing for? I knew at that point we're probably not getting out.

Sooo yeah, I should have left Saturday morning when that couple told us the road was fine, or even before.

The objective is to not to need recovery gear or help to begin with. Becoming more self critical here, that's for sure. I'll leave it at that.

Anyone have recommendations on shovels for helping someone in a similar jam?

Don't need a packable shovel. When I had my TJ I always Carried a full size shovel. Slide the handle into the frame tube that is right behind the bumper and rest the shovel head right against the edge of the bumper. Then bungee cord it in place.

Holy CRAP! What an insane experience! SO glad you and your party made it home safely. Salty too!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post

A cutter mattock is also my primary truck tool, along with a jack and rope.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Looks like I'm shopping for a mattock! 5lb good enough I assume?