Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Looks like it's GAME ON now. Bucks are in full on zombie mode, walking around with their nose to the ground.

The pocket I am hunting has around 8 does and 3 bucks that I know about. One is a little two point, another is also a 2 point and 1 eye guard with a body and wood that dwarfs most 4 - 5 points, the other is a nice 3x3.

They have been showing up on multiple cams daily, usually a few minutes to an hour after some of the ladies pass by, sometimes within an hour before or after me, and that's just on the cams... who knows how close we have been in the timber or if I've missed one standing there staring at me.

I haven't been able to be at the right place at the right time yet, but I think it's getting close, even overdue. Yesterday I checked a cam and found myself 9 minutes behind 3 does. I plopped right down there anticipating a follower, but nobody showed. No luck so for aside, I've been having a blast and a heck of a workout getting up high and still hunting for these guys.

Hopefully I will be able to make it out the next couple of weekends. Weather seems a bit iffy and losing access due to snow is a real possibility. Best case, the snow flies but stays up higher bringing in some migratory action while still being able to access the pocket. Worst case, no access and I'm shut down. Could go either way.

Anyone else going after those deep timber Region 2 blacktails? How is your season so far?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

In town the boys are right on the ladies and rubbing up the neighborhood trees. I've got one picture of a massive 2 point with a neck so swollen he looks like an over inflated balloon. Next weekend is going to be good! Get out and put one in the freezer

I believe it. I saw the biggest rutted out blacktail just inside the manning park boundary this weekend. 4pt well beyond his ears and thick as a horse.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Last weekend I headed up the Coq and managed to get my first mule deer within 1.5hrs of shooting light, home before dinner. I am on my annual blacktail hunt Nov 5-8 and plan to get one only, as I am saving my third deer this year for a late season whitetail.

Good luck to everyone else getting after the grey ghosts!

Being in the right place at the right time .... hardest thing to do in life.

I can figure out the right place, but the timing, which is often outside legal shooting light, is frustrating.

Everything has left here heading for the wintering grounds. No doe or bucks around.
    Ya isn't it fun hearing the huffing before you can even see the ridge above you.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Finally laid eyes on two sets of mature does without fawns. I'll be watching them all like a hawk until a suitor comes callin
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.

Thanks for the report! I haven’t been back into my Blacktail pocket since early season. This is encouraging. Good luck out there

I was just going through my trailcam videos to put together a little teaser video for inspiration and noticed another buck that is a 4x4. Looked almost identical to the 3x3 in rack girth and tine length, so at first glance I thought it was the same buck... but nope, there's another buck in the mix.

The camera on the bedding bench seems to get the most action, even as late as 11AM. Out of all these bucks, that larger 2x2 with 1 eye guard actually seems bigger, more cautious and more nocturnal than the rest. He makes the 3x3 and 4x4 look like young-ins. If I had my pick, he would be my first choice. But let's face it... there is zero chance I am picking and choosing. Things look promising, but I could get skunked or shut down due to snow, washouts, etc.

Anyway I'll have the video up in a bit
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-01-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    Thanks for the report! I haven’t been back into my Blacktail pocket since early season. This is encouraging. Good luck out there
    I've been either scouting or hunting every weekend since mid August with nothing to show for it. Last year the bucks were still around in bow season, but this year they bailed at the beginning of August except a little fork buck. I had fun chasing him all over the mountain for a couple weeks there and then he disappeared. Everything was dead from mid September until October 4th when the does came flooding back in. October 11, little fork came back (I was amazed, I thought he was dead) along with a pretty big fork. Then a 3x3 and a 4x4. So 4 bucks that I know about, 8-12 does. I think they are all there to stay until the end of the season. Only question mark is how long I can access the area, and if I can be in the right place at the right time. With all these bucks moving around and me creeping around, I am actually very surprised I haven't crossed paths with any of them, at least that I know about.

I am bummed I burned all my vacation days. A couple weeks back, something came up and there was a possibility of me parting ways with my job. It was up in the air for about 10 days. I love my job and all, but I will confess the possibility of me BT hunting full time for the rest of the season was getting me excited. It looks like everything is going to work out though, so probably just weekend warrior for the rest of the season.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-01-2021 at 11:47 PM.