Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Re: Blacktails: Things are heating up!

Well caddis’ life is soon to be back to normal he and his bro picked up their Jeeps and are home bound.
    He left us with a nice present. Including Several meals worth of venison, what a guy.
    yes THAT venison his buck from a few weeks back
    I feel like I’m a once removed part of an internet legend here. Hahahaha!
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Well caddis’ life is soon to be back to normal he and his bro picked up their Jeeps and are home bound.
    He left us with a nice present. Including Several meals worth of venison, what a guy.
    yes THAT venison his buck from a few weeks back
    I feel like I’m a once removed part of an internet legend here. Hahahaha!
    And we're all home safe again! Man I was anxious about driving the 7. It wasn't too bad I guess, other than a couple accidents around Harrison Mills and Deroche.

It was cringe worthy seeing the rigs down the embankment that got washed away by slides. Yikes, I cannot even imagine. Route was about 2.5hrs each way Langley to Hope and back for anyone that needs to do it... probably more on weekdays.

I hope there's some good cuts like backstrap or something in those vacuum bags Salty! We just labeled everything "steak", "steak bites" and "to grind" this year. I'm no butcher to begin with and rushed a lot up super late that night because I had to get everything in the deep freeze since the fridge was broken.

Looking forward to BT hunting and mushroom picking with you next year. Next time I'm out that way I'll bring the "Blacktail Trophy Tactics" book I mentioned (can't believe I forgot)

Huge thank you to the both of you again. Will never forget meeting on the other side of the 11km slide. I did not expect we would actually meet that day, but you went out of your way to push through with the truck and then jump on the ATV with Ed. That was an adventure for everyone including yourself and you had only just got back from your own adventure ordeal.

One thing for sure is you are an HBC legend. My brother, caddisgirl, caddismom and I are forever grateful.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-21-2021 at 08:19 PM.

I do it like you do, debone and freeze meal plus leftovers size bags. Can make steaks, cubes, roast or whatever strikes the fancy later. Looking forward to it caddisguy ate my last venison recently and after these storms who knows if I’ll be able to get out to tag out myself?! I know the spots I had high hopes for are off limits now till next year, if at all.

other than that bud you’re too kind you would do the same thing to help someone if you could similarly of this I know. My wife and I are more than happy we could help a little. And grateful to have met some very good people!
    cheers amigo
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Thank you! There should be more coming. I'm heading out Thursday with my brother. If we can get in and aren't getting weathered in, I'll have 3.5 fulls days to hunt.

I've been trying to get video together of the last one. Lots of good video but having trouble with sound quality on the voiceover, so it's on hold for a bit. Need more time. Probably need to order a better mic gadget, and might double up this coming weekend into one video. Will toss up the stories, pics and vids here on this thread.

EDIT: Actually whatever... here's what I have so far (video and voiceover from the last video) I posted it as "unlisted" on YouTube rather than "Public". Let me know if it's "decent enough" to flip to public or if the sound is too garbage and I should re-post better quality voiceover.

HBC exclusive right here

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Glad to hear you got out safe Caddis! I managed to find a couple of BTs yesterday at a spot I hunted in my first year, but not for at least the last 5 years. It’s grown in a lot, but still holds lots of deer. Followed fresh tracks in the snow for a bit, lost them, then saw tracks in a dirt embankment. Slide down that and jumped out on an old road looking for more tracks, then I happened to turn and see the deer I was tracking munching on grass not 20 yards away! It didn’t even react to me. I spent about 15 minutes just following it down the road as it slowly grazed (doe) always about 20-30 yards away as we had seen her with a buck not long before and I was hoping he’d show. I came home empty handed but might try again next week.

Last edited by Redthies; 11-22-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Glad to hear you got out safe Caddis! I managed to find a couple of BTs yesterday at a spot I hunted in my first year, but not for at least the last 5 years. It’s grown in a lot, but still holds lots of deer. Followed fresh tracks in the snow for a bit, lost them, then saw tracks in a dirt embankment. Slide down that and jumped out on an old road looking for more tracks, then I happened to turn and see the deer I was tracking munching on grass not 20 yards away! It didn’t even react to me. I spent about 15 minutes just following it down the road as it slowly grazed (doe) always about 20-30 yards away as we had seen her with a buck not long before and I was hoping he’d show. I came home empty handed but might try again next week.

Is that a throat patch and a nose on the other side (left) of the tree?

Maybe just my mind trying to see things that aren't there while still hunting pictures on the internet haha

If it is another deer, I missed seeing it! But no, there was just the one visible at that point.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Put together a little video of our last trip. This one is not such much about "blacktail hunting" other than a few nice bucks on the trailcams, but the other stuff that was going on. This is just a tiny glimpse into it (from my own perspective) from the little bits of footage I had on my phone. Filming stuff took a back burner.

I only did see one blacktail on that trip. I was scurrying up a hill and revealed myself too fast to the plateau up top. Normally I'd just poke my head out to get a view. For whatever the reason, I walked right out, had to whiz and while doing so off the deer bounces (20 yards away) from it's bed and down the hill. Oops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNyM0UCQ6E

great vid...lots of fun there...heheh

Epic thread caddisguy! I'm glad you and your family are safe and thanks for sharing the selflessness of others that helped you out - truly a great story of people helping people and I'm sure even with all of the trials and tribulations you wouldn't trade for the great memories and friendships made.
    forever noob