Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyways.....

Flyways.....

Hello,

For the past two weeks I started digging into the topic of "flyways", the major migration corridors, patterns, etc... Super fascinating stuff. Anyone here have any info, material, papers, etc to share? Especially as they relate to Canada (Central and Pacific Flyway)? A lot of the info online is - naturally - very global. I remember someone here posting a while back info on "I see them land here before heading off to X"... Trying to visualize this on a map. Basically looking about more in-depth Canadian resources on the subject...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flyways.....

On a somewhat related story, I was hunting yesterday and saw lots of geese flying south and one flock looked different because one side of the v were mostly white the other dark. I put the binoculars up and they were swans and Canadas flying together. Is this normal?

Our own government has lots of material if you know how to search for it. Here's a good starting point:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/en...ory-birds.html

I've never seen swans flying with geese. Are you sure those weren't snow geese flying with Canadas? That happens

iv been studing migration routes around kamloops area for aprox 28-29 years,,,,,have always had an interest in it ever since i went on my 1st duck hunt in my younger years
    Aim small,,miss small

Pretty fascinating to realize that the snow geese here nest and rear their young on Wrangell Island in Russia.

I had a good look and I first thought snows also but they were definitely swans. I took a picture but can't tell from it.

Quote Originally Posted by tundraman View Post
    On a somewhat related story, I was hunting yesterday and saw lots of geese flying south and one flock looked different because one side of the v were mostly white the other dark. I put the binoculars up and they were swans and Canadas flying together. Is this normal?
    No it’s not, I’ve never seen that happen and I’ve hunted waterfowl almost fifty years.

Just because you never seen it doesn't mean it wasn't. I have hunted waterfowl almost as long and never seen it either until now. I was up around the Gang ranch when I saw it.

Meateater on Netflix has a great episode on duck hunting in the midwest US and it talks a bit about the flyways. Check it out.