Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chum Restrictions

New Chum Restrictions

was implemented a few days ago, but just in case some still dont know:
    (as i said in another thread, Chum returns are low!, so that should tell everyone the state things are in)

Regulation Updates
    If you missed it earlier this week, the following regulation was put into place on Tuesday October 26, 2021.

Subject: FN1130-RECREATIONAL - SALMON:  Region 2 - Fraser River Chum - Allouette River, Chehalis River, Chilliwack River, Harrison River, Stave River, Nicomen Slough - Amendment to FN1102 - Effective Immediately

This fishery notice amends FN1102 to implement a no fishing for Chum salmon management measure based on the very low in-season Fraser Chum returns. The full notice follows.

Effective immediately and until further notice you may not fish for Chum salmon in the following waters:

- Allouette River
    - Chehalis River
    - Chilliwack/Vedder River
    - Harrison River
    - Stave River
    - Nicomen Slough

Variation Order: 2021-RCT-586

Notes:
    If you’re going fishing for salmon in non-tidal (fresh) waters, you need a Non-Tidal Angling Licence, issued by the Province of British Columbia.  Visit the provincial website to buy your licence. Licences are available to B.C. residents and non-residents. Fees may vary and are listed online (www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences).

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Barbara Mueller (Barbara.mueller@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Chum Restrictions

Always Reactive rather than Proactive..........

Typical DFO science......... Another way to go DFO.

Is there any Salmon fishery they haven't screwed up ?
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Thumbs down Re: New Chum Restrictions

FN's are still fishing them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Full blown FN opening around Port Mann right now.

I can't believe the stave is closed. I fished that as a kid and you couldnt cast out without hooking one. We would fish the faster riffles as there wouldn't be as many stacked up. Yep poor management

Who would ever think Chum would become threatened years ago.
    Not necessarily a target salmon for selling to the public.
    Basically a canned/smoked salmon and think many times only targeted for their eggs by the sports fishing folks, imo.
    Not that many pursuing them over the years.
    Not like Sockeye, Chinook and Coho.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    FN's are still fishing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Full blown FN opening around Port Mann right now.
    What's new, and no one gives a shit, or atleast not outside od us who care or know what it all means.
    And dont expect the general public to get it either or even care.
    Not until they are all gone.
    Sometimes I think the only route left to get many folks to understand is:
    To do nothing, don't try and revive it, let it go down the shitter until they are all gone, and then the public starts
    to ask questions!!!
    Sad, but I fear the only way people will get it.
    Then we ALL end up back at the round table!!!
    (and yes, its not lost on me that it shouldn't come to that, but i see no other way other then to take a "physical approach of protest")

"Not necessarily a target salmon for selling to the public"

huge ROE fishery. same time as the steelhead would enter. many years ago, still, could not say.
    pissed us off as we knew the steelhead stock was in big trouble. but thats ok cause there was a bigger demand overseas for ROE.

And now the roe buyers/users are right here in the valley. Been up the Harrison a few times lately and chum are almost nonexistent whereas only a few short years ago stocks were still decent. You can’t decimate complete runs and expect those returns again in following years. The net fishery needs to go.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    What's new, and no one gives a shit, or atleast not outside od us who care or know what it all means.
    And dont expect the general public to get it either or even care.
    Not until they are all gone.
    Sometimes I think the only route left to get many folks to understand is:
    To do nothing, don't try and revive it, let it go down the shitter until they are all gone, and then the public starts
    to ask questions!!!
    Sad, but I fear the only way people will get it.
    Then we ALL end up back at the round table!!!
    (and yes, its not lost on me that it shouldn't come to that, but i see no other way other then to take a "physical approach of protest")
    I agree, let it hit rock bottom and people will finally notice. Like the Buffalo in many parts. The good thing is that it can be rebuilt with a bit of time and money and people actually on board (all people)