Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GPS / Emergency Locater / Communicator - suggestions ??

Re: GPS / Emergency Locater / Communicator - suggestions ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    Not that I'm aware of no. That's a good question -- would have to email Zoleo I think to appropriately respond They're connected via Bluetooth and I don't think location services are functional through a Bluetooth connection.
    I just got off a quick chat with Zoleo. The accuracy is 2.5m and the readout of your location on the app is from the Zoleo device - not the phone's internal GPS receiver. You can overlay maps.

I kinda want to give it a shot. Anyone want to buy my like new Garmin 66i?

Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    Any comment on real world reliability of those weather forecasts? Weather on my inReach has been stellar and over the years I've grown to trust it and plan around it. But the constant undelivered messages and service interruptions in the past couple of years has me considering the Zoleo.
    Funny enough, I found the InReach weather very accurate last year after we discussed it but this year it was so wrong it was painful.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by RainyLaker View Post
    Todbartell, are you affiliated with Zoleo? Just asking for clarity.
    Yes I am a retailer of Zoleo (and Garmin too) sale starts Nov12 $199 https://shop.nechakooutdoors.ca/zole...-pr-20970.html

The Zoleo's price tag and monthly subscription is what sold me on it. inReach was way too expensive.
    inReach is more $ for the unit, no doubt. However, my Garmin 66i inReach monthly bill is $16.75 after tax for the Safety plan (10 messages a month, unlimited preset messages, 75 cents per message above my monthly included 10). The Zoleo Basic plan is $28 a month (25 messages included, 70 cent additional messages, unlimited check in messages). Within 2 years of use, the Zoleo's cheaper purchase price would be eaten up by the higher monthly costs. That being said I think it's a great unit. I use a 66i Garmin myself as I like the GPS and inReach lumped into one device
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Looks like with the zoleo, that you need to activate it ($25 fee) for three months ($28 monthly subscription) but then can put the account on hold for $5/month keeping your number/email. Otherwise I gather that you would have to pay the activation fee and three months activation membership if you canceled your account after each season.

$110 to activate a new account or $40-50 to keep it inactive for 8-10 months. All of these monthly fees (streaming, etc) are starting to kill me.

I went with the garmin 66i. Main reason been I only want to pack one device. Never had an issue with it but I don't message a lot. The Gps has worked flawlessly.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Yes I am a retailer of Zoleo (and Garmin too) sale starts Nov12 $199 https://shop.nechakooutdoors.ca/zole...-pr-20970.html

inReach is more $ for the unit, no doubt. However, my Garmin 66i inReach monthly bill is $16.75 after tax for the Safety plan (10 messages a month, unlimited preset messages, 75 cents per message above my monthly included 10). The Zoleo Basic plan is $28 a month (25 messages included, 70 cent additional messages, unlimited check in messages). Within 2 years of use, the Zoleo's cheaper purchase price would be eaten up by the higher monthly costs. That being said I think it's a great unit. I use a 66i Garmin myself as I like the GPS and inReach lumped into one device
    The checkin messages and preset messages use the iridium service and are part of your 10 or 25 messages allocated through your plan. If you're not on wifi or on in cell coverage.

Not sure where you got that info from? Any time the sat service is used it 'uses' one of your 'messages.'
    Last edited by Jamesonm; 11-02-2021 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyLaker View Post
    Looks like with the zoleo, that you need to activate it ($25 fee) for three months ($28 monthly subscription) but then can put the account on hold for $5/month keeping your number/email. Otherwise I gather that you would have to pay the activation fee and three months activation membership if you canceled your account after each season.

$110 to activate a new account or $40-50 to keep it inactive for 8-10 months. All of these monthly fees (streaming, etc) are starting to kill me.
    Theres no charge for changing membership but you can only do it once per month.

I’m still tossed up on this. I had a spot, it sucked. I’ve had an inreach explorer+ for a few years now and to be honest, I don’t trust it. It seems to always end up working but I always have little issues with getting messages in or out that leave me wondering if it’s working at all. I’m really considering a Zoleo to change things up, they sound more reliable.

Brad

The checkin messages and preset messages use the iridium service and are part of your 10 or 25 messages allocated through your plan. If you're not on wifi or on in cell coverage.

Not sure where you got that info from? Any time the sat service is used it 'uses' one of your 'messages.'
    hmm my bad, I assumed it would be like the inReach preset messages that don't count towards your monthly plan messages
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Garmin Inreach.

I shelled out the big bucks for the 66I. It is awesome, works great and I absolutely would not fo solo into the bush without one.