Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS / Emergency Locater / Communicator - suggestions ??

Re: GPS / Emergency Locater / Communicator - suggestions ??

Sort of depends what type of function will suite him best. Some have basic gps ability paired with communication.
    I don’t want to carry a gps and communicator so I have a Garmin 66i for the last couple years and really like it so far. It is a full capability gps (more than I need really) combined with inreach tech. Good screen size so it’s easy to use if you don’t want to carry a phone, or don’t want to have to rely on a phone.

iPhone for GPS with GAIA app for me. iPhone has proven way more reliable than any Garmin GPS I've owned (5 of them).

I use a Garmin inReach for communications (the old yellow one) that has proven reliable over the past 5 hunting seasons. You can text on it, but it's easier if paired with the iPhone via the Earthmate app.

Another vote for Zoleo and I researched the shit outta them. I'm also part of search and rescue which we use inreach for.

I prefer the Zoleo. Easy to use. Gives you weather updates. Battery lasts forever. Has an email and own phone #.

Comes with me everywhere.
    Last edited by Jamesonm; 10-30-2021 at 08:52 PM.

After 10-ish years and several devices I'm about done with InReach. Too many messages that show sent but never went. Too many messages that come into the device but never make it to my phone. Too many messages that I never received at all. Up at our cabin it is supremely unreliable.

Make no mistake, it is better than nothing. My wife and I have incorporated all the potential failure points of message transmittal and now have a bulletproof system of communicating but it is a lot of effort and it requires a lot of thought from both of us.

I'm going to try Zoleo. Might not be any better but it can't be much worse.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    Another vote for Zoleo and I researched the shit outta them. I'm also part of search and rescue which we use inreach for.

I prefer the Zoleo. Easy to use. Gives you weather updates. Battery lasts forever. Has an email and own phone #.

Comes with me everywhere.

Any comment on real world reliability of those weather forecasts? Weather on my inReach has been stellar and over the years I've grown to trust it and plan around it. But the constant undelivered messages and service interruptions in the past couple of years has me considering the Zoleo.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and info.
    I'll have a long chat with the kid to see exactly what he's looking for and go from there.
    I was actually quite surprised when he brought it up, before now it was "I don't need anything, I'm indestructible".
    Now he's turning 40, I guess reality begins at 40.

Zoleo works incredibly well. Up the Gatho this year and it picked up the satellites in seconds. Pairs to phone so communication is simple. You can text without using the app, just limits the amount of characters per text or the Zoleo app for longer texts. Even in a tight canyon area we pulled service to text. Over months that you may not be using it, just pay $5/month to sit idle. If needed right away to head out, then jump online before leaving, activate again and your monthly starts from that point on. Can’t say enough about ease of use plus huge battery life.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I have Garmin 66i. I like it - mainly for the 'oh shit' button. It;s awesome for sending messages while off grid and the GPS system is solid.

But - I would seriously look at the Zoleo.

It seems like I get messages every day about some system failure at Garmin. And, the operating system(s) are clunky as hell. It has incredible functionality - but you have to go through several systems to get the most out of it.

It's a nice piece of kit but I find myself using it less and less because it's clunky. I really only pick it up if I know I'm going to be completely off grid.

I've got the zoleo...I'm definitely a fan, lots of cool functionality and bullet proof, It's been attached to the outside of my pack for over 70 field days this year without issue. Leave it on almost 24/7 and need to charge it like once a week.

I use the Spot X for communication/emergency, it works fine. I like that it has a built in keyboard to compose messages. Like the zoleo, you get a phone # associated with it which friends and family can use the send youtext messages. It also pairs with my phone via bluetooth.

some folks don’t like the Spot because of the satellite network is uses, but it’s never let me down.