Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GPS / Emergency Locater / Communicator - suggestions ??

Re: GPS / Emergency Locater / Communicator - suggestions ??

Thank You Mr. Bartell !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    The Zoleo bluetooths to your phone, you can read and compose messages through the Zoleo app. On the Zoleo, you can only send "I'm ok" messages to a specific contact (spouse or hunting partner), or the SOS button which will send help for you
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Be sure to research the network each device uses as well and not just the unit itself. InReach and Zoleo both use the Iridium network which has proven to be far more reliable than the network used by other devices.

Zoleo for me as well, talked to a hunter this year who was doing some scouting for goats a while ago, 6 hour hike in. He had an unfortunate encounter with a momma bear with cubs, he got clawed and chewed on a bit, he needed medical attention and was in contact with SAR from his Zoleo and managed to get to a clearing big enough for a Helicopter to get into.
    I feel more like i do now than i did before i got here

My son just purchased the Zoleo. While he was helping guide on a goat hunt in the three sisters area we communicated like he was at home.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Thanks for all the info / suggestions - Son is looking into Zoleo and we'll go from there.

I appreciate the info too as I'm looking for something. I'd like to be Remi Warren and turn my day hikes into at least a two day trek.

Seriously, we were just looking at the inReach and my wife put it on the wishlist.

Todbartell, are you affiliated with Zoleo? Just asking for clarity. I think I'm sold on the zoleo as the best option regardless. I've not heard good things about the Spot despite what's been said on here.

For those of you with Zoleo. How has it worked for navigation? I suppose that you link to the Zoleo and then use it with Gaia (for example). Even though the phone has satellite receiver - I find that it's not always great when off grid. That's the one thing that the 66i is good at - showing where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    For those of you with Zoleo. How has it worked for navigation? I suppose that you link to the Zoleo and then use it with Gaia (for example). Even though the phone has satellite receiver - I find that it's not always great when off grid. That's the one thing that the 66i is good at - showing where you are.
    I only use it for comms. I use my phone with loaded maps for navigation purposes (topo of entire Vancouver Island). But you can download maps into the Zoleo app, I've never done this. There's no reason to 'link to the Zoleo and then use it with Gaia.' A more accurate statement would be to load Gaia on to your phone -- there's no 'linking' of Zoleo to other mapping applications (Gaia, etc.).

I may have misread your message a bit -- but does that answer your questions?

The Zoleo's price tag and monthly subscription is what sold me on it. inReach was way too expensive.
    Last edited by Jamesonm; 11-02-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    I only use it for comms. I use my phone with loaded maps for navigation purposes (topo of entire Vancouver Island). But you can download maps into the Zoleo app, I've never done this. There's no reason to 'link to the Zoleo and then use it with Gaia.' A more accurate statement would be to load Gaia on to your phone -- there's no 'linking' of Zoleo to other mapping applications (Gaia, etc.).

I may have misread your message a bit -- but does that answer your questions?

The Zoleo's price tag and monthly subscription is what sold me on it. inReach was way too expensive.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I guess my question is really; when your phone is linked to the Zoleo - does that enhance the accuracy of your location on the (previously downloaded) maps. Sometimes off grid I'm not confident that the satellite receiver on the phone (and ipad when in the car) is adequate.

Not that I'm aware of no. That's a good question -- would have to email Zoleo I think to appropriately respond They're connected via Bluetooth and I don't think location services are functional through a Bluetooth connection.