Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Usa leh

Re: Usa leh

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I meant coats associated with their entry system to build up points. I assume one has to apply and pay every year in order to do so

It was $70 for mule deer and $60 for antelope. Realistically, if I apply for 10yrs then pull both tags for the same yr, I’ve spent $1300. I could then spend another $3000 and hire a guide and do a combo hunt. Combined it would still be less than paying an outfitter in Alberta or sask just to hunt antelope or a white tail. I’m hoping everything with covid will be figured out over the next 2-3yrs and ill start entering the draw with the plan to hunt Wyoming 3-5yrs from now.
    Yes I have to enter every yr or I lose my points. But if I draw a tag and can’t go on the hunt I can call and turn down the tag and not lose my points.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 10-30-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Every yr after the draw is done, Wyoming has over the counter antelope tags available. Some areas you can get 2 buck tags or up to 4 doe tags. Applying for priority points for a few yrs prior to entering the draw will give me a better chance to get drawn for a trophy area or ensure I can get a tag for when I am ready to head south. From what I’ve read online, being drawn for a tag helps reduce the cost of using an outfitter.

Endless opportunities. Cheap to apply and you WILL get drawn and the more you apply the better the area to get drawn, unlike this joke of a system we have here in BC. Both times we went it was about $1800 US guided. Shop around, do some homework and go. Nothing on this planet seems to change for the better so take your opportunities now.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Go ahead and have some fun. I apply/ buy points in some states like Montana and Wyoming with intentions of hunting there every few years.

Idaho, colorado OTC. New Mexico land owner tags etc. You could go every year.

Then I apply to some states like Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico with the intention of maybe only going once on a big ticket tag, elk, mule deer, dessert sheep, ibex
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I’ve drawn and filled some great LEH tags hunting with my bow as a NR….Nevada desert ram, Utah bison (wild, not high fence) and a couple great mule deer tags, Wyoming Shiras moose and a couple antelope tags. Also Kansas whitetails.

Also successfully hunted general open archery seasons successfully for Arizona Coues bucks numerous times and a mule deer, plus a few javelina. Nebraska whitetails and turkeys, Texas hogs and javelina and Alaskan moose, caribou and Sitka blacktail DIY plus a brown bear that was guided. Oregon Roosevelt elk and blacktail too.

As a Colorado resident years ago arrowed elk, whitetails, mulies, black bears, antelope, goats, antelope and cougars.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 10-30-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    It was $70 for mule deer and $60 for antelope. Realistically, if I apply for 10yrs then pull both tags for the same yr, I’ve spent $1300. I could then spend another $3000 and hire a guide and do a combo hunt. Combined it would still be less than paying an outfitter in Alberta or sask just to hunt antelope or a white tail. I’m hoping everything with covid will be figured out over the next 2-3yrs and ill start entering the draw with the plan to hunt Wyoming 3-5yrs from now.
    Yes I have to enter every yr or I lose my points. But if I draw a tag and can’t go on the hunt I can call and turn down the tag and not lose my points.

Interesting. That's actually cheaper than I thought it would be.

Do they not give priority to residents?? Because if so then their system sucks. I'd hate to be a resident of Wyoming and not have priority hunting in my own state.

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    The overall cost is what you make it. Guided/ not guided. Look it up. Google is your fiend. If you are worried about cost, hunting is no longer inexpensive. I don't have a realistic chance of scouting northern B.C. for any game so no difference there. If you want excuses to not do it there are many. There are also many good reasons for doing it - especially since hunting in B.C. is getting more and more challenging

Hunting for "trophy" animals never was inexpensive to begin with.

And true, you don't scout north BC but there's a reason no one goes up there to hunt big mule deer even though the Peace seems to have a good number of them (or did last time I heard).

I might be wrong, but driving to wyoming to hunt a B&C mule deer, without much info on where to go doesn't sound assuring. Shot in the dark.

If some locals are willing to start you off in the right direction then that's anorher story.

Hunting for "trophy" animals never was inexpensive to begin with.

And true, you don't scout north BC but there's a reason no one goes up there to hunt big mule deer even though the Peace seems to have a good number of them (or did last time I heard).

I might be wrong, but driving to wyoming to hunt a B&C mule deer, without much info on where to go doesn't sound assuring. Shot in the dark.

If some locals are willing to start you off in the right direction then that's anorher story.
    I drove to AB and hunted for 2 days and watched a 185-190 class buck in an area I've never hunted before, last week. I've also done it before by hunting for 3-4 days and shooting 185+ deer, and handfuls and handfuls of quality deer.

Not sure why a guy can't hunt hard for a week and get into good quality animals, and more importantly an enjoyable hunt.

Bottom line there are a ton of extra opportunities out there that are decently priced and also provide an amazing experience and can be in areas with some real.qualuty critters. Not sure why being local has anything to do with success. If that's the case 98% of my successful hunts would be seen as "shots in the dark"

Well said, Trevor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    I drove to AB and hunted for 2 days and watched a 185-190 class buck in an area I've never hunted before, last week. I've also done it before by hunting for 3-4 days and shooting 185+ deer, and handfuls and handfuls of quality deer.

Not sure why a guy can't hunt hard for a week and get into good quality animals, and more importantly an enjoyable hunt.

Bottom line there are a ton of extra opportunities out there that are decently priced and also provide an amazing experience and can be in areas with some real.qualuty critters. Not sure why being local has anything to do with success. If that's the case 98% of my successful hunts would be seen as "shots in the dark"
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

If you know where to go, you know where to go. And that's good.

Shot in the dark is what I would call my own experience in any new area without adequate time to learn the land compared to the locals of that area who already have it figured out.

I meant coats associated with their entry system to build up points. I assume one has to apply and pay every year in order to do so
    just got the credit card bill and a preference point in Montana is 34 Canadian Wyoming will be about 40. Started applying last year so have two points in each state now. I plan to apply both states in three years so I will have 5 points for each state. Plan on going down for two weeks and coming home with two lope.

5 points should get you a decent unit in Wyoming with tons of crown land to hunt. Montana only probably needs two to three years to draw region 7 which is the size of our region 8 and 4 combined. You could draw in Wyoming every year for areas with tons of private property but gaining acces could be hard. Probably like a 30% chance at drawing Montana any given year in region 7. that’s why I went with 5 years, real good chance at getting a good unit in Wyoming and a guarantee for Montana.

So say 175 for 5 years of Montana and say 225 for Wyoming for 5 years of preference points. Tags will be about 300 each area when drawn. (Don’t beat me to death if tags are $100more). So let’s say about $1000-1200 for for 5 years of applying and tags when drawn. Also price of tags is based on US dollar conversion. Could be higher could be lower in 5 years. Considering a flight up north costs around 2000 dollars I think it’s a deal. Plus I can bring back to lopes. I went to Montana in 2000 and tag was 300 and I drew first year.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.