Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No hunting yet ?

Re: No hunting yet ?

Did get away once.
    But, i have to be honest, the price of gas/diesel has definitely put a damper on long haul trips.
    Certainly reconsidering the future of some future trips and if they will happen.
    Not cheap anymore.
    No more "hey, lets hit Merritt".
    Those days of 3 guys, 20$ each for 3 tanks of fuel, there back and hunting, are long gone.
    Getting cheaper to go hang out in Mexico!

9 days at the end of September.
    heading out for the morning on Sunday. Have a solo weekender planned mid November.

The wife spent the last two weeks of July and most of August working on the fires, so we had to cancel our holidays for that time. We spent the first week of September in Jasper and I chased elk with the camera.

Spent three days chasing moose and dodging trees in Oct with 70-90k winds all three days. Still saw a cow and two bulls but no shooters.

Have now focused on whitetails and have been setting up blinds and cameras and fake scrapes. Will be out checking everything tomorrow. Taking a week off in November to see if I can find a buck.

Good luck all and try to find sometime, life is too short not to be hunting!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Did a couple days trips so far around Tulameen. Heading up to quesnel with the girlfriend next week for a few days of full on hunting and hopefully cut a couple tags!

I've been doing a lot of scouting and have been seeing a few bucks

Here's a handsome young fellow

His bigger buddy

Maybe I'll see a bigger one if I look out the window!

Been out three times , but that’s about to change. Hunting is no different than fishing, fish the tides or your just burning fuel, same applies to rut.

12 hr days 6 days a week doesn't leave much time but I've got till Dec 20 for my cow elk tag so I'm not to worried. The nice thing is that going to work in the dark and home in the dark I have no idea what's out there for animals

Started a new business 1 year ago and very busy, which is good, still trying to find a rhythm so I'm not working weekends. Still hope to get out before it's too late to at least get a deer and some grouse.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    Started a new business 1 year ago and very busy, which is good, still trying to find a rhythm so I'm not working weekends. Still hope to get out before it's too late to at least get a deer and some grouse.
    All the best in the new business venture and good luck hunting.

I lost my dear mother in August. With that and associated things needing done and the memorial in September, September was a complete bust for hunting except for a day or two right at the end. My dog is now just getting over a bizarre case of anaphylaxis, extreme swelling of her head, nose and ears. Had to keep a close eye, steroids for the win on that one, all but cleared up now.

So hunting for me has taken a kick in the nuts this year to be sure. I've made it out 3 or 4 times with my buddy from up country, he's been going through a big move and had little time either. I've made it out 6 or 8 times myself as well. Grouse hunting has been as good as I've ever seen. The summer drought/fire season has thrown a big wrench into my usual deer hunting prowess. Although said prowess is only 5 years of experience hunting new to me areas since I've lived here. Most of the spots I've frequented in R3 and 2 don't even have any sign. Have found a couple areas on the plateau with very fresh sign but still, haven't seen a single deer since August. Looking forward to November. Should be able to get out a lot more touch wood and its usually been the most productive time of the season for me being basically just a deer hunter.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this