Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Usa leh

Usa leh

After many yrs of hunting in my comfort zone I’ve started the process of building priority points for Wyoming mule deer and antelope. Hopefully over the next 3-5yrs covid has been figured out and My son and I will have some points to start trying to draw tags.

I followed grasp’s New Mexico elk hunt the other yr and it got me interested in exploring the USA. Has anyone else hunted in the states?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Usa leh

Nope. But how does it work? What's the total cost of, say, 5 years of "collecting points"?

As an outsider I still think you'll have a hell of a time trying to find a trophy class buck.

It's all on line. 2 days left to get your priority points. If you get enough points you can get a tag in an area that has the better bucks. Very similar to Alberta's system. Outsider or not has little to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Nope. But how does it work? What's the total cost of, say, 5 years of "collecting points"?

As an outsider I still think you'll have a hell of a time trying to find a trophy class buck.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    It's all on line. 2 days left to get your priority points. If you get enough points you can get a tag in an area that has the better bucks. Very similar to Alberta's system. Outsider or not has little to do with it.
    Other than the outsider has no realistic chance to scout or even know where exactly they are going.

Yes, I'm sure it's online like most things these days but what is the overall cost? (I assume points over several years to build better chances)

I have an antelope hunt in my future, but will probably be in Colorado as I have a guide friend living there who apparently always has tags. I will be bugging him about it again as soon as the border stupidity gets sorted out.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I have hunted pronghorns in South Dakota. Great trip!

The overall cost is what you make it. Guided/ not guided. Look it up. Google is your fiend. If you are worried about cost, hunting is no longer inexpensive. I don't have a realistic chance of scouting northern B.C. for any game so no difference there. If you want excuses to not do it there are many. There are also many good reasons for doing it - especially since hunting in B.C. is getting more and more challenging

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Other than the outsider has no realistic chance to scout or even know where exactly they are going.

Yes, I'm sure it's online like most things these days but what is the overall cost? (I assume points over several years to build better chances)
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

I've been twice to Wyoming, guided,and had a blast both times.. Would like to do it again DIY. You aught to have seen the fabulous muley bucks we saw!

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    I have hunted pronghorns in South Dakota. Great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    The overall cost is what you make it. Guided/ not guided. Look it up. Google is your fiend. If you are worried about cost, hunting is no longer inexpensive. I don't have a realistic chance of scouting northern B.C. for any game so no difference there. If you want excuses to not do it there are many. There are also many good reasons for doing it - especially since hunting in B.C. is getting more and more challenging
    I meant coats associated with their entry system to build up points. I assume one has to apply and pay every year in order to do so

Go ahead and have some fun. I apply/ buy points in some states like Montana and Wyoming with intentions of hunting there every few years.

Idaho, colorado OTC. New Mexico land owner tags etc. You could go every year.

Then I apply to some states like Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico with the intention of maybe only going once on a big ticket tag, elk, mule deer, dessert sheep, ibex