Thread: Bear hunting near Revelstoke, which rifle?

Bear hunting near Revelstoke, which rifle?

I'm going up to Revelstoke the first week of November for business. I'll be in the Carnes Creek area.

I have deer and bear tags but figure it's better bear hunting than deer. So i have a choice of rifles to bring with me for a little spot and stalk for a freezer bear. The area has clearcuts so i figure glassing the edges is my best bet.

I have two rifles that I think will be suitable: BRNO 600 30-06 with a B&L 3x9 or a Marlin 1895 GS with a 2.5x Leupold IER in QD rings with ghost ring backups.

I think the BRNO will be the better choice even with me limiting my shots to 150 yards.

Any hunters here familiar with 4-38?

I have a VHF radio in my truck and will be monitoring RR22. Are recreational trucks calling their mileages on #23?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear hunting near Revelstoke, which rifle?

Dude take the Marlin.

I’m not a fan of .45-70 past about 100 yards. If yours is well dialed in and you have the bullet drop figured out for your rifle and ammo combo, I’d take it to 150.

My primary deer rifle is an almost identical set up to yours, only a 336BL with 1-4x Nikon and QD rings with a Skinner ghost ring. I’m always going to support getting in close with a lever gun!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Bear hunting drasticaly slows down in november i would drive a hour east and hunt deer.

Take both. You've only got 2 makes it a easy decision. You can play eeney miney moe in the morning.

Bears will be pretty sleepy by that time if not already down for the winter
    But it could happen

Best to know your rifles best possible, 45/70 works differently than high speed projectiles and the right load is very capable to 200 or more
    https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...U.S+Government
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

30-06 and there are plenty of bears in that area. Plenty of Grizz too. Thick bush so cutblocks are good choices. Bears are into eating spawning kokanee now so if there is a creek close by check it out..but again watch for Grizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    30-06 and there are plenty of bears in that area. Plenty of Grizz too. Thick bush so cutblocks are good choices. Bears are into eating spawning kokanee now so if there is a creek close by check it out..but again watch for Grizz.
    Maybe I'll bring my 20" BRNO 602 .375 H&H carbine too.

Plenty of room in the truck.....