Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions: boot mileage vs ATVs, chickens, hares, game?

Re: Newbie questions: boot mileage vs ATVs, chickens, hares, game?

You've got the right mindset! What region(s) are you hunting? Have you tried hunting sage country, grasslands, burns or more open and/or edge habitat? If not, give region 3 and/or 8 a shot. Find a perch over (or under) some open or broken country and glass away... If you're seeing does you're learning! In certain areas of those regions I'm seeing anywhere from 3 to 30 does and up to a few bucks a day.

Another tip is glassing farms adjacent to public land. Watch where they enter and exit, see if you can pattern them, and make a play.

For grouse and rabbits, instead of a quad, adventure around the FSR's in your car/truck, you'll most certainly cross paths sooner or later.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Eva_Hunts; 10-26-2021 at 02:10 PM.

as far as grouse go they are usually picking gravel off the roads first and last part of the day so those have generally been most productive times for road hunting grouse

Sounds like you are making a mistake we have all made when new to hunting - hiking too much when we should be hiding and watching. Next time out spend more time behind the

Binoc's instead of walking, surprising what you may see that you would have walked by.

Cheers and wishing you and the little one the greatest success
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I trick I used when new (and even now) is I always count paces (every 2nd step)...I constantly assess the area I am in and assign it a max number of paces..the ultimate max is 30 if it is still light enough to shoot (I don't bother if I am walking back in the dark)..after hitting the number I stop and do a full look around (binos usually)...)...it is very surprising how that makes you spot game before they see you instead of bumping them...
    also it helps you to not over heat or get out of breath...it also allows you to have a better balance of watching where you step and looking around
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-26-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Hey thanks everyone for the tips! This past weekend I found a couple of neat spots.

One is a glassing spot (200m wide) in a huge open draw, behind a big set of boulders, over several sparsely regrown clean cut blocks (out to 600m) and I can see the corner of a several acre swamp. ihunterapp shows it as dense timber but it's not. There was no game there mid morning when I arrived and hung out for a bit. I can get to this anytime of the day and it's usually set up well in the wind. I have to hike through some good game holding country to get there though. Do you think I should I bomb in there predawn and set up for a half / full day? What time of day would you target this? Still hunt in for the afternoon and camp out on the edge looking for game heading down to the water?

Another spot is in fairly dense spruce timber with significant blow down. There's a very well worn trail (bare earth) from the lake into 12' replanted trees into another stand of timber. It's the best trail that I've found. I can probably get in there from a downwind, though perhaps swirling, wind position. Would you bother getting in there predawn or mid afternoon for a set? It's a tight area (30 yard max shot) so an all eggs in one basket kind of spot. A huge tree blew down close to me last time I was in there though so also a bit eerie.

An elder friend of mine said game usually heads up hill in the morning from water and down to the water in the afternoon/evening. Would you tend to agree? 45 minutes after I got out of the wind in a spot on Saturday, a doe/fawn came downhill from behind me headed to the water so that time it seemed to hold true.

I always post up before light and am only patient enough to sit until I can see farther than deer will hear me...
    Quote Originally Posted by RainyLaker View Post
    Hey thanks everyone for the tips! This past weekend I found a couple of neat spots.

One is a glassing spot (200m wide) in a huge open draw, behind a big set of boulders, over several sparsely regrown clean cut blocks (out to 600m) and I can see the corner of a several acre swamp. ihunterapp shows it as dense timber but it's not. There was no game there mid morning when I arrived and hung out for a bit. I can get to this anytime of the day and it's usually set up well in the wind. I have to hike through some good game holding country to get there though. Do you think I should I bomb in there predawn and set up for a half / full day? What time of day would you target this? Still hunt in for the afternoon and camp out on the edge looking for game heading down to the water?

Another spot is in fairly dense spruce timber with significant blow down. There's a very well worn trail (bare earth) from the lake into 12' replanted trees into another stand of timber. It's the best trail that I've found. I can probably get in there from a downwind, though perhaps swirling, wind position. Would you bother getting in there predawn or mid afternoon for a set? It's a tight area (30 yard max shot) so an all eggs in one basket kind of spot. A huge tree blew down close to me last time I was in there though so also a bit eerie.

An elder friend of mine said game usually heads up hill in the morning from water and down to the water in the afternoon/evening. Would you tend to agree? 45 minutes after I got out of the wind in a spot on Saturday, a doe/fawn came downhill from behind me headed to the water so that time it seemed to hold true.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I trick I used when new (and even now) is I always count paces (every 2nd step)...I constantly assess the area I am in and assign it a max number of paces..the ultimate max is 30 if it is still light enough to shoot (I don't bother if I am walking back in the dark)..after hitting the number I stop and do a full look around (binos usually)...)...it is very surprising how that makes you spot game before they see you instead of bumping them...
    also it helps you to not over heat or get out of breath...it also allows you to have a better balance of watching where you step and looking around
    Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Sounds like you are making a mistake we have all made when new to hunting - hiking too much when we should be hiding and watching. Next time out spend more time behind the Binoc's instead of walking, surprising what you may see that you would have walked by.
    Links
    Each of these tips are giving me a lot of context how to go back in there. Thanks!

I hike fast in low odds areas, and slow right down in high odds areas. But learning which is which and when takes time, knowing habitat, and the land I am hunting. I would be less cavalier when hunting new to me areas. Part of this learning is making the mistake of going too fast in the wrong places.

Sitting/entering in swirling winds is not a great idea especially if you think it is a hot spot. To me swirling winds means still hunting and to keep moving. Otherwise if you can get in there with good winds then why not give it a try? That also sounds like a great spot to put up a trail cam. They can be great tools to learn what is moving when… and what kinds of odds you’ll be facing if you choose to sit there.

it’s really hard to say without knowing the land and seeing the country first hand. But from what you have described I would say why not still hunt through the game holding country during first light early morning, then make way to your vantage point for mid afternoon and glass until dark. See what peaks it’s head out and when. If you have enough daylight to set up a stalk then do so, otherwise glass and learn.