Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Removal of the BC LEH

Re: Removal of the BC LEH

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhunter View Post
    I have few problems with the LEH systems. What pisses me off is everyone who is hunting moose on there other parties tag. like a 12 man moose camp hunting any two moose because 4/12 guys won a draw for two moose and its also a spike fork season or the like, but all 12 shoot whatever moose they want till they hit there limit. l get it the same amount of moose are (potenitally, but potenially not) dying. Its always bugged me how many people casually fill others tags...... goes on for more then moose....... Id be pissed if someone else in the party shot my moose/elk/sheep JMO
    I have to agree with you there. When I was starting out and didn't know better I was around that type of camp. I don't go near that crap anymore but it unfortunately seems to be common.

As for the draws most of the guys that get moose draws year after year are using their wives, cousins, unborn children and any other hunter number they can get their hands on to form a group.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I am not a fan of current system.
    Buddy got pitt rvr leh tag a few years back, and now he is back at having the same chances as me again (yes, slim, but still).
    I dont know what the leh should be like.
    If you win a 20:1, then maybe shouldnt be allowed to enter that specific one for 20 years afterwards??? (if you win).
    Again, not sure what it should be, but for me and my opinion, i hate the system as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    You’re either unimaginative, or in the wrong career field if you honestly believe that.
    Yes that, or I have experience in design and implementation of information systems and you are full of desire to make the world a better place.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Yes that, or I have experience in design and implementation of information systems and you are full of desire to make the world a better place.
    I’ll bite, do illuminate as to what I am missing.
    The database is populated by our entries (appends new entries to some location), someone at the Ministry hits run on a program that grabs the entries (maybe there is some filter to weed out improperly filed out or bogus entries - although the website itself could and does do that to some extent), the program compares entries with the previous three year’s winners and applies a ‘flag’ based on those who’ve been successful for certain species, it assigns a random and unique number to each entry (sorting them in ascending order), and runs down the list assigning first choices to non-flagged entries and applies a function for flagged entries to skip every other one or every two of three depending on the species applied for - simple, could be done in an excel spreadsheet, would be made easier with a simple program.

So the vulnerabilities are the database, the code for the program and the database, the previous year’s results, the person(s) hitting run on the program, and the sending of results (manually or automatically).
    Last edited by Livewire322; 10-26-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

wow never knew that, but suspected it. Scumbags

Anything like this done in a secretive way is shady. Remember when 6/49 or lotto winning numbers were drawn live on TV? Now you just trust the winning numbers they throw out after their computer analyzes all the entries and spits out non winning numbers. Publish names of successful applicants and let hunters see who keeps getting draws year after year while they waste their money being honest. 1 successful draw in 20 years makes me think I am being ripped!

The BC Leh is not a lottery , it is a biased draw where previously successful entrants are penalized for their good fortune , tired of hearing how good Alabertas and some states are , tired of hearing it should be a once in a lifetime draw ,why should I be peanalized just because I’ve had 2 Roosevelt Island elk draws , just sayin .

Get rid of enhanced odds and make it entirely random and leave it to Lady Luck

QUOTE=The Hermit;2292493]It is completely random. I've been putting in for group moose in region 7 with no tags for the past five seasons but have had three draws in the previous five years. For the group hunts each individual hunter's name is in the draw and if any one of them get drawn then they same the tag(s). Two hunters = 1 tag. Three+ hunters = two tags.

I'm saving up for a guided Rosie trip... tired of waiting after some thirty years. [/QUOTE]

"Create" hunter opportunity.
    LEH has it's place. But, we should caution using it to manage hunters and reducing some opportunity. Shift some hunts to archery hunts, move some rifle hunts outside the rut. There is little to no demand right now for muzzle loader, but a high percentage of hunters use a bow. In fact, in R4, 50% of hunters are using archery tackle (at some point in their hunt), and most residents to R4 believe the archery seasons present a much better opportunity than the rifle GOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    1 successful draw in 20 years makes me think I am being ripped!

Without context [ what draws were you entering for ] this doesn't really mean anything.

I have to wonder at times.
    Sometimes feel some just have the right hunter # (if that is what they use?) the the computer likes.
    And also, why should my friend, who won the pitt lake elk leh, after a couple of years once again have the same chance as I??
    Once you win that, you should be disqualified after that.
    Just saying.

I have applied for years, and not just me, but 2 others in the group for the same bull moose leh.
    No one has ever won that.
    And those odds arent that bad in there.
    So yes, it has left us wondering for sure.